Chapter 6: He Was Right

Gray's POV

As I stared at my homework, I sat on my bed. I thought studying at home would be easy, but I found that home study was harder than I thought. For a moment, I thought about giving up completely. I had been staring at my stats homework for the last hour and I still didn't understand what I was doing.

I hoped I would be done with this packet before Else went to Jackson to pick up a new packet for me, but that wasn't possible. Else would be back any time now with new homework, and I was still finishing up the homework from last week. Maybe this goal of graduation wasn't worth the trouble.

My thoughts shifted as my bedroom door opened and Else stepped in with a stack of homework in her hands. She placed it on the edge of my bed and readjusted her blazer.

"Thanks," I said as I quickly thumbed through the new homework she provided me. I really needed to devote more time to this if I planned to catch up.

She nodded. "The staff told me you need to submit your old assignments by next Monday. Would that be a possibility?"

"Yeah, I can do that."

"Good."

I stared at her and questioned if it was a good time to ask what I really wanted to ask. Her calm look made me think it was a good time. "Where you able to give the note to her?" I asked Else carefully.

Else gave a tired sigh as she leaned against the door frame. "Gray, the last thing I want to talk about is that girl. There are so many more important things we need to talk about."

"Ok. Then what do you have to tell me?"

In silence, she scowled at me.

If she was really so upset about the situation, she should be the one that changes it. Instead, she was just standing there, wasting both of our time. "Else, I really don't understand why you are here if you will not tell me anything."

She tapped her foot as she shook her head. "I have to go."

"Yeah, I think that is best," I said as I turned back to my homework.

She let out a heavy sigh, then left without saying another word.

I should have known she wouldn't have delivered it. She didn't want me anywhere near Stella and not delivering the note was the best thing for space. I was here against my will at this point. I couldn't reach out to Stella, and I wasn't even any help in stopping my father. Here at the academy, I feel useless.

The longer I sat on the bed, the more my anger ate at me. I couldn't stay in this confined space any longer. I had to get out, clear my mind. There had to be a reason I was here. It couldn't be all for naught. I thought I could help here, but that was a mistake. I should have known Else would fall into the same habits of keeping things from me.

As I fumed, I forced myself outside, onto the grounds under the setting sun. With heavy steps, I paced around the grounds, glaring at the ground. Being outside helped nothing. I was still pissed at Else. It still pissed me off I was here. But Else, she was something else. I couldn't stand her. She was never there for me when I needed her. I kicked a rock as I stopped walking.

A large bird screeched over me as it flew in the sky. I had to look up at it because it was so loud. Its wing span was large and with the setting sun, its black wings glittered. It circled above me, then flew to the tree line. I watched it disappear into the woods just as my father came out from the same tree line.

My heart stopped as he smiled at me. It had been almost two months since the war at school. The image of him jumping out of the window after he killed the royal family was still so fresh in my mind. He did not reach out since that point, but now he was here, and he beckoned me to come to him.