Chapter 10: Just For A Visit

Gray POV

I looked up at the school standing in front of me and for a moment, I frowned at it. For so long I resented going here. Standing in front of it brought up those feelings again for a moment. It took a second to tell myself that I wanted to be here, that I was here for Stella. I would do anything for her. 

By time I crossed the gate to Jackson, the sun was already rising. I walked the miles to get to school through the snow. At first, I was freezing but after walking the distance, I wasn't so cold anymore. 

I opened the front door of the school and walked in. 

The warm air of the school hit me like a comforting hug. I smiled as the familiar smells filled my nose. Stella often smelt like this school.

"Hello Gray, it's nice to see you!" a middle-aged slender woman who worked behind the desk asked me as I passed it. 

I stopped and turned to her with a small smile. It was interesting that she knew my name. I didn't think I was that memorable. "Hi." 

"So, are you back from your exciting travels?" 

"I'm just here for the day."

"Ah, I understand. Well, it's good to see you again." She smiled at me then turned back to her computer, allowing me to slip away from her. 

I continued to walk down the hall and sat at the first seat I found. The clock on the wall said it was 7:20 which meant that students would not be arriving for another 20 minutes. I would have to wait until Stella came and this spot I found was perfect for people watching. 

As I waited for the first student to come in worry filled me. I thought back to how I ran off through the barrier. Churchwell guards saw that I ran away. Word would get to Else soon enough and she would come for me. She would not waste any time to find me. She didn't want me anywhere near this place nor Stella. I just hoped Stella would come soon so we could have as much time as possible together.   

"Hey. You're back," Alice's voice rang out, breaking me from my thoughts. 

I turned to face her with her normal athletic clothing and fake dyed hair. Alice was never my favorite person, but I had never been so excited to see Alice in my life. Seeing her meant a better chance to know where Stella was. "I am."

"What brings you here?"

"Just here for a visit." 

"Cool," she said as she let silence fill the space between us. It was an awkward silence as if she didn't know what else to say to me without sounding rude. 

"Do you know when Stella will be here? I would like to say hello," I said kindly.

Alice frowned as another girl came up to her. "I don't think she will be at school today." 

The frown on Alice's face caused me to worry. For the small amount of time that I knew Stella, she never missed a day of school. She valued her education too much to do that. "Why?" 

"She fainted yesterday at school. They took her to the hospital, but she told me she was fine and that she is now at home. I think she is laying low for the next few days to rest."  

<>

I stood up from the bench. If she wasn't coming here, there was no point in me staying. I would have to go to her. Alice's words were supposed to calm me, but they did the opposite. It didn't matter is she said she was fine. I knew Stella and I knew that if she passed out, something wrong had happened. I needed to make sure she was ok.

"It was nice to see you too," Alice said sarcastically as I passed her. 

"Likewise," I mumbled as I continued my path to get out of this place.