Chapter 11: I'm Really Here

Stella's POV

On the other side of my bedroom door, I heard voices of Bec and my father, but I was too tired to hear what was being said. It wasn't until I heard the mention of Gray's name that forced me to pay more attention. I wanted to be a part of that conversation. I wanted to know why Bec was talking about Gray.

"And he wanted to see her. I turned him away, but he looked so sad about it. Do you think I did the right thing?" she asked.

My heart pounded at the thought that Gray was here. I wondered if he was still close by. I couldn't miss my chance with him. With the little energy I had, I stood up from my bed and instantly black spots appeared in my vision until I couldn't see anything.

When I woke up, I was standing in front of the gate, wearing nothing but a track suit and socks. An icy wind whipped my face, causing tears to well in my eyes. I blinked them away as I tried to figure out how I got here. One moment I was in my bedroom and the next I was here. How did I slip by my parents?

I shivered as I looked around myself. In the snow's silence, I heard my name being called.

I jumped at the sound of it. My eyes scanned the space, trying to find the source of the sound. "Show yourself!" I commanded. I braced myself for the shadow monster, but was unsure if I would find it.

"Hello, my dear, Stella," Graywick said from behind me.

I turned to face him as he towered over me. He was the first connection I had with Churchwell in months. He was here talking to me, and I was desperate for answers. I didn't know how I got here, and I hoped he could tell me. "What is happening to me?" I begged as tears ran down my face. "I don't feel like I'm in control anymore."

He smiled as he walked around me. "You are interesting. I have been watching you for a few weeks now."

"Then tell me what is going on."

He shook his head as he looked behind me with a frown. "We will be in touch," he said, then vanished into smoke.

I swore loudly as I looked around myself, trying to find him again. "Graywick! Come here!" I demanded, hoping he would show his face.

"Graywick!" I screamed as I dropped to my knees. "What is happening to me?" I didn't care if the snow melted through my pants. I was already wet and cold. He was here and acknowledged that something was wrong, but he didn't stay to give me answers. Instead, he left me here, still confused how I got here.

Tears ran down my face as fear took over. I felt like I was running out of time. If he wouldn't come back, I would find my own answers. Determination filled me as I wiped my nose. I would go to Churchwell myself and get the answers I needed with no one's help. I stood up from the ground and brushed myself off.

<>

"Stella?" Gray's voice rang out behind me.

My breath caught in my throat as I questioned whether or not he was actually behind me. For so long, I dreamt of his voice, so this seemed a little too good to be true. A part of me feared that the shadow monster was behind me, using his voice as a trap. Fear held me still as I waited for the next move.

"Stella, is that you?" he asked again.

He sounded so real. I couldn't deny that voice. I wiped the tears from my eyes, then turned to face Gray standing next to Else. "Gray?" I just prayed that I wasn't imagining this. "Are you really there?"

He nodded as he took steps towards me in disbelief. "I'm really here."

"I didn't think I would see you again," I whimpered.