Chapter 26: Slow, Painful Death

Gray's POV

"Is it ok if you stay here while I talk to the dean?" I asked Stella as I opened my dorm room door.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," she said as she looked around the room carefully, as if seeing if it had changed since the last time she was there.

There was something in her eyes that told me she had a million things going on in her mind. I wanted to ask her, but yet, deep down, I didn't want to know what she was thinking about. I had too much on my plate to care about her worries for now.

Since we had been together, I had not asked her about why she was here in Churchwell. Or why she was with my father. There was a story behind all of that, but I didn't want to ask her. Not yet. As soon as I sorted out at least some of my concerns, I would ask her these questions.

I don't know if that was selfish or self-centered, but I just needed to sort out my own thoughts before I helped her. Maybe after talking to the dean and after I got a few hours of sleep, I would be in a better mind set.

"Good. Well, I'll be back," I said as I turned to close the door behind me.

"Wait," she protested nervously.

I stopped as I stared at her. "Yes?"

"Just don't be long. Ok?"

I nodded as I gave her hand a squeeze. The last thing I wanted was to leave her here for too long. But I didn't know how long meeting with the dean would be. There was so much I wanted to talk to her about. Egrick was just the tip of the iceberg. "I won't. I promise."

With that, I closed the door, shutting her in, then left to get to the dean's office.

When I reached the door of the dean's office, a frown came to my lips. It was three in the morning, the chances of her being in the office were slim. I should have waited until the morning. Why did I leave Stella alone when I knew the dean wouldn't be here and if she was, she wouldn't want to see me? We didn't have the report for me to do this.

Just as I was about to turn around, the door opened.

"Come in, Grayson," the dean sighed from within her office.

I wasn't sure how she knew I was here, but I didn't linger on the thought for long. Instead, I turned on my heals and walked into her office.

It felt larger without all the people crowded around the space. With only us in the space, it allowed me to see that she tastefully decorated it. For a second, it felt more homey than an office.

The dean cleared her throat, making me realize I was wasting her time standing here in silence. I shook my head to clear my mind. Why was I here?

"Egrick is dead," I said.

"I know."

"How?"

She sighed as if she was tired of stupid questions. "Grayson, we are at war. I have to keep eyes on the grounds at all times."

I nodded as I thought about what I wanted to say next to her. She was a busy lady. She had things to do- like sleep, maybe. I couldn't take up any more of her time unless it was important and planned.

"He's a traitor. He knew it and got what he deserved," I bluntly stated. "Else told me not to trust him. And when I fought Else, he refused to help me."

She frowned as she looked at her desk in front of her. Suddenly the wood grains were replaced with a scene of Else fighting me in the castle. "This table can show me the past of whoever is near to it. I had my thoughts about Egrick ever since the war within the school. After that fight, he changed. I thought it was because things had changed in general, and he needed to be ready for the future wars. But Else warned me about him..." she explained as her voice dropped.