Chapter 13: What Do You Want?

Stella POV:

"What do you want from me?" I shouted to the shadow monster as I backed up against a wall.

In front of me stood the shadow monster. Its dark eyes glistened in the light, which made them look lighter than they were.

"Oh, Stella, we are the same," it growled.

I shot up in my bed in a cold sweat. I kicked off my sheets and took deep breaths to slow my racing heart. Its words echoed through my mind as I got out of bed. This was the second thing it had ever said to me. First it said it was mine and now 'we are the same'. But how could we be the same?

I couldn't help but think about my encounter with the Darklings just a few days ago. This monster was different from the Darklings, but maybe they were closer than I was thinking. The Darklings listened to me, and now this shadow monster said we were the same.

With quick steps, I walked into my bathroom and pulled on my shirt to reveal my scared shoulder. It looked the same as it always did, with its black mark trailing to my collarbone. I wanted to believe that these three things were related, but I had nothing to prove it. And with no help from Gray, I wasn't sure how I could get to the bottom of it.

Snapping me from my thoughts was my alarm that started going off.

I ran to turn it off and sighed. "At least I didn't wake up too early this time."

With sleepy movements, I got ready and walked upstairs to get a cup of coffee.

"Morning. Are you sure you don't want to spend one more day at home?" dad asked as he sipped his morning coffee.

"No, I really don't. I want to get back as soon as possible."

He nodded. "Ok, but if you don't feel well, please call Bec or I."

"I will. Promise."

He smiled as he pulled out his phone. "I have to go. But I'll see you tonight."

"Sounds good," I said as he got up from his seat and went downstairs to the garage.

It was as if my little field trip was nothing more than a dream, even though it just happened yesterday. It made me realize I did an excellent job convincing my dad I was fine. And as much as he loved me, he had other important things to focus on, which also occupied his worry.

Making him calm down about the experience was one thing, but the getting that Darkling encounter out of my mind was another story. That encounter was the only thing that that consumed my thoughts.

I knew Darklings. They were killers, so why did one stop? Why did it listen to me? It was as if I was in control. But how was that possible? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I needed to see one again. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't a standalone experience, but something that was constant. Could I really tell them what to do?

The more I thought about it, the more it frustrated me. I didn't have the answers I was looking for yet, and the easy way to get them was impossible to reach. Gray was someone I needed now more than ever, but I don't think I would have the chance to see him any time soon. The way Else pulled him away, she would do all she could to keep him from me.

Darkling thoughts consumed my thoughts until I sat down in first period in school. It wasn't until Alice talked to me that my thoughts shifted.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Alice asked with a smile as I pulled out my notebook.

"Better," I lied as I thought about all the pain killer. I downed right after my father left this morning just to quiet my migraine. The migraine was still there, but it was manageable now.