Chapter 37: Everyone Has Their Motives.

Only a few chapters left! I can't believe it! Look out for the <>

Gray POV

Stella frowned at me as if I did something wrong. Maybe she thought I did, but I was sure I didn't. I knew exactly what I had to do next. "No, I don't know. Please tell me why you want to stay in a place that gives you little regard," she said with sass and irritation.

The answer was simple. Even if the people here rather me gone, Churchwell was where I was from. It was my home and because of that, I would defend it until the end. "Because this is my home." As I said that, more screams filled the air, causing me to walk out of the room.

I knew my father would make his attack soon enough. I knew his attack plans because he trained me in them. First, he would send the Darklings then he would come when all hope seemed loss. It was easy for him that way, but the first steps in his plan wouldn't be so quick.

"If you aren't going, I'm staying too," Stella spoke up.

Fear filled my body as I turned to face her. Churchwell wasn't a safe place for her in a peaceful time. Imagine now, I couldn't risk that. But the look of determination was strong on her face, which would make it nearly impossible for me to convince her to leave without me. "You have to go, Stella."

She shook her head as the power went out. "No."

"Gray, Gray, are you down here?" Else's voice rang out with concern.

"I'm here!" I called out to her, hoping she would come and take Stella away from me.

In a second, she was running towards us with panic in her eyes. "Gray, you're here, good." Else hands were blackened with Darkling blood and there was a gash across her face. There was a fear in her eyes that I couldn't shake off. Whatever that was happening above us was terrible. It was war.

"What is happening up there?"

"Your father is making his attack. Darklings have already made it into the ground. He removed the protection spell, and they are swarming around the castle. We have barricaded the doors and windows but it's only time until they break through them."

I looked at Stella as fear filled me even more. In a middle of a battle, getting her out of here would probably be impossible now.

"The Royal family is coming with increased guards, but we don't know how long we can hold them off without their help. We really need all hands-on deck."

"Even mine?"

She nodded. "I will always fight beside you, Gray. There is no one else I trust more."

I smiled lightly at the compliment, knowing she meant it. My attention then turned back to Stella, who was my main priority. "What are we going to do with her?"

Else frowned at her, as if not liking that I brought her up in the discussion, then looked back at the stairwell as someone screamed. "Nowhere is safe in the castle. I would keep her close. I think that's the safest."

I looked back at Stella with worry. She just improved from the poison and getting out of the clutches of death; I couldn't throw her in harm's way once again.

"Come, we need to get up there and help defend the castle," Else said, as she handed me a dagger.

"What about me?" Stella protested, not liking that Else didn't give her anything to defend herself.

"I only have one extra," Else frowned as if she wasn't happy that Stella was here to begin with.

"How will I defend myself?" she asked with concern.