Chapter 24: Killed Her

Gray's POV

As I held Stella in my arms, I could breathe better. For the moment, I didn't care that it wasn't safe for her to be here in Churchwell. The only thing that mattered was that she was the only thing that was familiar to me. She was like a pleasant memory or a favorite childhood food, right in front of me.

Her being in my arms was the most at home I had felt in months. It made me not want to let go, fearing the feeling would vanish.

After what felt like forever, I pulled out of the embrace with Stella.

Stella smiled but quickly her smile faded as she stared at me. "Are you ok? You're bleeding," Stella pointed out as she looked at my shoulder.

"I'll be ok. Are you ok?" I asked as I looked at her from head to toe.

I expected something to be wrong since she was with my father. There had to have been something he did to her. My health was the least of my worries at the moment. First was Stella then Else.

Else.

My blood ran cold as I thought about her.

After hearing that Stella was here in Churchwell, she was all I could think about. But now that Stella was with me, safe at school, I could think about my other concerns.

My stomach lurched as I thought about dumping Else in the infirmary. The state she was in wasn't good. I already wasted too much time. I needed to go to see her.

Instinctually, my hand wrapped around Stella's and, saying nothing, I pulled her down the hallway.

"Gray, where are we going?" Stella asked as she ran beside me.

"I have to get to Else," I replied.

I took turns and ran down flights of stairs until I finally made it to the doors of the infirmary.

A lump formed in my throat as I stared at the door. My feet wouldn't push me past the doors and for a moment, I stared at them in silence, as if they would just magically open on their own. I was too afraid to go through them, fearing what was on the other side.

Right now I relied on the thought that Else was ok. But if I went through those doors, I wouldn't have any beliefs, I would just know facts. I wasn't sure if I was ready for that.

"Else is in there?" Stella asked.

I nodded in silence.

"Ok, then let's go," she said. With a head held high, she pulled on my hand and walked through the set of double doors.

Instantly I saw Else in a bed under a large window. Blankets were pulled around her body, and even though her eyes were closed, hinting sleep, her body looked ridged.

My breath caught in my throat as I walked up to her.

"Gray..." Birch's voice trailed off as she came from behind a curtain. Her hair was frizzy and a mess, which matched the messy blood-stained clothes she wore.

The way she murmured my name, I knew something was wrong, which caused the lump in my throat to grow.

"The curse the Forst Witch put on her in combination with her wounds... I'm sorry... but..." she didn't finish the sentence as I grabbed Else's stiff hand.

Words did not come to me as I stared at Else. The only thing that came to my mind was that I should have never pulled out that knife. I should have never attacked her. There were so many other things I could have done, but I stabbed her.

"I don't think she has long. Maybe a few hours at best," Birch whispered as she placed my hand on my shoulder.

My legs clasped under me. I did this. She would die and I was the killer. Tears came to my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I couldn't imagine a world without Else. She was all I knew.