Chapter 4: Protection Barrier

Gray's POV

I felt a staff strike my side, causing me to double over in pain.

"Gray, get up," Egrick commanded me. He hit my back as I struggled to get up, knocking me back onto the ground.

The blow caused a grunt to escape my mouth. Before he had time to hit me again, I jumped to my feet. "That was a cheap shot and we both know it," I said as I stood up.

"There is no such thing in war."

I rose my eyebrows in his honesty. That was more information I got from Else within the last few days. "So, you admit there is something going on?"

"I think that's enough, Egrick," Else's crisp voice rang out behind me.

He nodded as he bowed his head, taking a step away from me.

My eyes met Else's and instantly I put down my staff. I had been waiting for her all day, wanting answers at the last meeting she attended.

"Grayson, can you come with me?" Else asked as she pulled on the sleeve of her blazer.

"Sure." I gave a small nod to Egrick, then follow Else off from the rest of the training. She took long strides towards the tree line, away from everyone else. I had grown to understand that she picked this area for a reason. The barrier of the protection spell around the castle interfered with almost anything magical, including eavesdropping.

Else sighed as she pulled her hair into a ponytail. She looked tired again, like she had for the last few days. Ever since word of my father reappearing, all prominent officials had been on high alert, including her.

"So, what is the news?" I asked.

"He's still on the edge of the castle's boards. He hasn't made a move. I think he knows there will be backlash when he storms into the castle. But he has made alliances with the Forest Witches."

I looked out into the woods as I reached out to touch the barrier.

"Don't do that," Else warned.

Her warning caused me to drop my hand quickly. "Why?"

She tapped her foot on the ground, questioning whether to tell me what was on her mind. Finally, she pulled up her sleeve to show a new gold bracelet around her wrist. "New policy. You can't go through the field unless you have one of these."

"So no one can come in and no one can leave?"

She nodded as she waved to someone behind me.

"Who is the prisoner now? How long has this been a rule?" I asked in spite as anger coursed through my viens.

"This wasn't my idea."

"Of course it wasn't. But Else, you never defend your ideas," I snapped at her.

"The Dean is just trying to protect the students here. He does not want the blood shed that happened recently to ever happen again. He is just doing his best."

"And locking them here is a good way to protect them? If he is the Dean he can come up with some better idea." I questioned. 

"This is just a quick fix." 

"Sure."

"Gray, knock it off. You don't know what those war room meetings look like."

"No, I don't. Because you never tell me everything nor would you let me participate." 

She let out a sigh and shook her head. She tapped her healed book on the ground for a moment before opening her mouth again. "Your father has convinced shifters to join his cause."