Chapter 20: Maybe They'll Like That

Song for the start of the chapter. Fun fact, I found this singer on a IG ad, I ended up loving the song and thought I would try to put it in this chapter.

Gray POV

"Gray, come on, step it up. Put your hands up, be on your guard," the teacher who went by the name Egrick said to me as I circled another student that was at least three years younger.

I tried not to pay attention to the age gap, but I wouldn't lie that it took a swing at my confidence. The kid in front of me was already so much better than I was. I nodded as I spit some blood from my mouth from the cheap shot the kid just got out of me.

The kid swung low at me, but I dogged it before he made contact with my side.

I placed my hands up higher and tried to take him down, but it only resulted in me being on the ground with his arms around my neck. I couldn't tell you the events that got me here, it all happened so quickly, but now he was cutting off my air.

"Ok, that's enough," the teacher said as he jumped onto the mat.

Instantly the kid's arms released me, letting my lungs fill with air.

"Practice is over. Oak, why don't you get some water before the next lesson."

The kid nodded and walked off silently while Egrick stared at me, no doubt judging me for such a poor job.

"Spit it out," I said as I wiped my mouth of blood. "I know that was poor."

Egrick sighed as he sat down next to me. "You shouldn't be so hard on yourself."

I shook my head. "Well, getting my ass kicked by a 14-year-old isn't a confidence booster."

"Start somewhere. Honestly, for having no formal training, you are doing well. I can see you are a fast learner."

His words added little to my confidence as I thought about how I could have beat Oak. Next time I will have faster reflexes. I will be sure I am prepared for next time.

"Gray, lighten up. Being hard on yourself solves nothing."

I nodded, although I didn't agree with him. I was hard on myself because my father was who he was. Because of that, I needed to be better than him, especially if he was coming out of the woodwork. Every one knew he was back and there was a tension in the air, knowing that it was only time until he came back. As his son, it was my duty to stop him. I had to stop him because who else would?

"Gray, do you have time?" Else asked as she walked up to us. She adjusted her shoes, but it still looked graceful as she did it. Else was beautiful. however for so long I never saw her interact with people to realize her true beauty. Now, watching her now, you had to be blind not to see it. Even Egrick stopped to stare as she walked up to us.

"Yeah, his training just ended," Egrick said as he got up from the mat and offered a hand to me.

I took it and nodded, although I wanted to practice more. This was only my first weekend at Churchwell Academy, and I wanted to make every moment count. I arrived early yesterday moment and by Sunday evening; the training was taking its toll. Bruises covered my body, but excited to come back next week and learn more. I was behind the curve, but that meant I needed to try ten times harder.

But I knew why she was here and I couldn't fight back a wave of worry and excitement to wash over me. Finally, I would go to one meeting she had. I could meet the royal family once again and they would know that I wasn't a threat to them or what they stood for.

She beamed at me and said, "Welcome home."

I nodded at her, knowing she probably waited all weekend to say that to me. As kind as the phrase was, I knew I wasn't as home as I thought I would be. I thought there would be some kind of warm fuzzy feeling I would feel coming back to a place I spent so much time at, but that feeling hadn't come. Instead, I feel like a foreign exchange student, struggling to keep up. "Thanks."