Chapter 9: I Was Afraid

Look out for the <>! 

Goodness, thought I wouldn't be able to post this on time. I have had a lot of other distractions within the last three days. 

Anyhow, I am fine and I hope you are too!

Darla

Grayson POV

I stared at Stella for a second before she noticed a week after she saw me looking for starrings in the grasses. I was just lucky she didn't ask me any more questions about what I was really doing in the grasses since the conversation easily switched to something else.

She was too eager to know me, which as wanted as it was; was dangerous. She didn't know how dangerous her questions were to her safety, but something told me she wouldn't stop until she got answers. Like a star colliding to earth, she was on a path to know me. I couldn't say that I hated it, because that was a lie. I liked the way she looked at me in the crowded room and said my name. But there were rules in place that protected her from people like me and she should just listen to her classmates about the rumors.

I wondered when she would finally give up on talking to me, until she believed the rumors. Her words spoken to me over a week ago still rang out in my mind like they were just said. She thought I was a dick for no reason but if only she knew what was really happening. If she did, would run from me if she didn't die first. There was a reason humans stayed away from us, and the more distance kept them safer.

The rumors at school were true; I was dangerous for many reasons. All of these people at school stayed away from me, and there was a reason for that. Though they would not know the truth of why I was dangerous, they would know to stay away.

But Stella didn't seem to mind all these rumors and whispers. She bothered me as if it was her job to check on me... her annoying job. She wanted to know me and make sure I was ok and as terrible as it was, a part of me didn't want her to stop. Her kindness made me realize that not all people in this town were terrible and it warmed my soul.

"Ok, all remember about the test tomorrow," Mr. Walter said, drawing me out of my thoughts. He looked at me, as if silently single handedly calling me out to get my grades in order.

I nodded at him as the bell rang, letting him know I got the clue, even though I wouldn't study. I never would either since I would pass his class just like all others, by the skin of my teeth. After high school, I wouldn't need any of this stuff anyhow. What I would do would be much more important than working at an office after all of this.

"Hey, what are you doing tonight?" Stella's voice rang out, pulling me from my thoughts.

I turned to her oval face slightly hidden by her brown curly hair with a frown, warning her to stay away. But it was halfhearted though, as if not really wanting her to stay away from me.

Paying no attention to my frown, or maybe she didn't care, she continued to speak. "I was wondering if you wanted to join me for studying for this class."

I remained silent, waiting to see what she would do, hoping she would leave once she realized I wouldn't say anything. Or maybe she would realize that this was a terrible idea for her. I didn't have enough strength to shoo her away with words, so I just hoped that she got the clue with silence. If she knew what was good for her, she would leave.

Stella sighed as she put her hands on her skinny high waisted jeans, making her look thinner than she was. "Well, this was a pleasant talk. Listen, if you don't want to be a loner for a night, here is my address." Stella slipped a piece of paper on my desk then without saying anything more, left with that blonde girl she called a friend. Ashley, I think that was her name.