Chapter 12: Not For Her Eyes

Song for the start of the chapter!

Gray's POV 

"Grayson, I closed the gate today so you can have the day off," the letter of Else said as it paced around on the small beat-up table. She continued to relay details about her next assignment, but my mind drifted to the idea that Stella was coming over today. I remembered talking to her after class and giving her my address. I wouldn't admit it to her, but I was probably more excited about this study group than she was.

Breaking me from my thoughts was when the letter caught on fire before my eyes, falling as ashes on the table. With a smile on my face, I stood up from my seat as I glanced around the nearly empty house. It was small and simple, and it worried me for a second that Stella wouldn't be impressed with it.

Almost instantly, the thought caused me to frown. It was such a stupid thought. I never cared about any of this stuff in the past, so why was Stella making me think like a typical high schooler?

Before long, there was a knock on the door which I opened almost instantly to see Stella with a container of cookies in her hands. "My stepmom made these. She asked me to bring them. I hope this isn't weird."

I shook my head as I let her in. "Not weird at all."

Stella placed the container of cookies on the lamp table by the door, then took off her black leather boots that looked like she had for years. She looked around the room, then sat down on the couch with a smile on her face. "So, should we get started?" Stella asked, paying little attention to the small and sparsely furnished family room.

I wasn't sure if she was unfazed by the small house or if she hid it, but something told me that fancy things didn't interest her as much as the people she surrounded herself with. "Yes, let's get this started."

She flipped through the pages and pulled out her notebook that had notes in all colors as she talked about the class of today and why it was important.

I paid little attention to her words as I watched her speak. I couldn't understand why she wanted to talk to me, let alone be friends with me. Why was it so important that she talk to me when all the school warned her to stay away? She gave me her reasons before, but I don't think I would ever wrap my head around it.

"So what did you find interesting in this class?" her voice was soft and light, causing me to be pulled out of my thoughts.

I shrugged as I tried to remember what the lesson was about. Details of the hour class period escaped me as I remembered writing battle plans that the Churchwell royal family could use in case a war was called against the Darklings. But I didn't understand why I tried so hard to help because it's not like they would use my plans since my father was a traitor.

Else told me all the information about the meetings, and she said she would bring me to one meeting, so I was aware of what was going on, but so far that moment had not come. I was still on the sidelines, half in the dark, and that was where I would stay. I knew the leaders of Churchwell were careful to bring me in, I understood my father was not the best role model towards the end of his life, but it still hurt that they didn't judge me for my own works.

"Gray, I'm waiting here," Stella's voice rang out.

I met eyes with her hazel-colored ones and I realized I hadn't answered her question. "Wasn't there something to do with a fire experiment in the Antelope reserve?"

Stella laughed so easily, but it wasn't demeaning. It caused my heart to soar just for a moment. "No, that was yesterday."

I frowned, feeling stupid, then looked at my notebook that had brief notes about the class. I should had written more, I should have at least tried, but there were so many things going on in my mind, school was at the bottom of the list.