35

JAXON, WADE AND LANDON WERE walking around the school, looking for the monster that apparently was an Arabian monster that would whisper insecurities and feed off discord. Jaxon was yet to see the monster but he could see it. Landon, was the only one between the three that could not see it.

"Hey, I was wondering..." Landon began, "if you're all powerful and all, why can't you just get rid of the monsters? You know, like killing them directly instead of going through all the troubles of finding a way to kill them?"

"They'd just come back," Jaxon replied, looking around for the monster, "they'll die, yeah but then they will return. That's why you've got to kill them the right way. You get it?"

"Yeah, I think I do." Landon cleared his throat, "do you—"

"— There!" Wade pointed near the stairs where Jaxon looked and indeed, saw the monster standing. "It's ugly too." Jaxon commented as Landon asked, "where's it?"

Jaxon glanced at Landon, "it's standing right th—" he cut himself off as when he looked back at the spot where it was previously, it was no longer there, "— where the fuck did it go?"

"We lost it." Wade commented as the two began looking around again.

"Lost what?" Hope's voice made them turn around, "Landon's fashion sense?" She bit her lip upon realising what she said, "sorry, I didn't mean that."

"You said my look was classic," Landon said with a frown earning a scoff from Lizzie, "And you believed that?" She glanced at Jaxon who had amusement plastered all over his face, clearly enjoying them roasting Landon, "Sorry I think."

"Well, I'm living a lie," Landon said dramatically as Wade spoke, "we're looking for the Qareen. It's a monster that makes everyone act like—" he paused, "—Jaxon and Lizzie mostly. It's invisible; only fairies can see it."

"Do you want to take this or should I?" Lizzie asked Hope who replied with, "It's too easy. Can't even get any pleasure out of it. Sorry."

"Hey, focus," Landon interrupted, "It's gaining strength by the minute. Once it's strong enough to manifest itself on a, um, non-fairy plane Anyway, we have to figure out a way to stop it."

"It is so much less impressive when you give the hero speeches," Lizzie smiled at the others, "That was all me."

"Figured as much," Jaxon commented, "so, what's the plan?"

**

The group found themselves in the library, researching on the monster at hand. "Okay," Wade spoke, "the Qareen does have an Achilles' heel. Uh, it's weak to myrrh, Sinbad's scimitar, and fairies."

"Don't even think about it," Hope said, standing near the bookshelves.

"Why don't you believe me?" Wade questioned making the tribrid turn to him, "can you fly or shoot fairy dust or make others gleeful? No. Because you're doing the exact same thing that Landon is with his training; you're trying to fit in. It's delusional." Noticing the looks she was receiving, guilt filled her, "I sh—shouldn't have said that."

"Okay, Hope, Wade really is a fairy— as weird as it is." Jaxon informed making Wade shoot him a thankful smile in response. "He's not trying to fit in. He already fits. He's part of this school as much as you are. So let's lay off this whole thing and focus on the problem at hand, yeah?"

"I didn't mean—" Hope was cut off by Landon, "—You do know the reason I'm training is to help you with this stuff?"

She couldn't help but scoff, "if I need someone to die a lot, or be picked on, I know who to call." Wade sighed and stood up then he began walking away while Hope called him, "Wade, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean that I didn't mean that."

"Actually, you did," Landon said, "the Qareen magnifies insecurities. It doesn't make them."

"Hey, book nerds," Alyssa's voice made them look at her, "there's a monster on campus. It kind of looks like that pimple Hope had last week."

"Are you sure it wasn't your own reflection?" Hope shot back making her shoot her a dirty look in response, "I don't understand why Jaxon is even with you. It's probably only because you're powerful. Bet he wouldn't have even looked at you if you—"

"— Cut it off," Jaxon cut the witch off with a distaste filled tone "get out."

"But I—" Alyssa tried to speak but was interrupted by Jaxon, "— now." Huffing, she walked out of the room.

"Great. It's strong enough to be on our plane." Landon said earning a look from Hope, "Okay, well, we need to get you somewhere safe just in case. So you don't go get yourself kidnapped again. I'm really not blaming the victim here."

"I actually don't think it's after him," Jaxon spoke up earning a nod from Landon, "he's right. Like, it actively avoided Jaxon, Wade and me."

Hope furrowed her brows, "Then what does it want?"