7

AS YOU ARE WELL AWARE, it's time for the annual American football match with Mystic Falls High," Headmaster Vardemus announced earning loud groans from the students.

"Great," Kaleb mumbled. They all hated the game for they were forced to lose every year.

Jaxon leaned against the wall outside of the school with a cigarette hanging in between his fingers as he smoked and listened to whatever he was saying inside. He didn't sleep last night. He was unable to sleep without her by his side and she knew it yet didn't come. He understood that. He screwed up.

"Today, you will not be forced to lose a game so that humans can feel superior," Vardemus spoke again, "every one of you is special. Every one of you. And it's time you showed it."

The students began applauding at his words, happy that they would be now able to do as they wished. That was when Josie stood up from her seat and asked, "how?"

Vardemu flashed her a smile, stating the obvious, "by using your powers in moderation, Ms. Saltzman. The goal is not exposure, merely to win. Think of it as an exercise in control."

"Well, I am here for it," Kaleb also stood up from his seat, sounding excited, "after last year, it'll feel really good to show those Timberwolves what we're all about. Right?"

The students let out noises of agreement as Vardemus smiled again before throwing the ball in his hand at Landon who barely managed to catch it, "and who better to lead you in this endeavor, as your quarterback, than our own Landon Kirby?"

"M-Me?" Landon stuttered out, shocked at the sudden revelation while the other students cheered for him. However, Kaleb and MG exchanged knowing looks, both full aware that there was no way they were winning this with Landon as their quarterback.

Outside, Jaxon couldn't help but smirk. There was a reason why he decided to stay outside the whole time. He didn't suck at football, in fact, he was great at it. But he was in no mood to play after what went down with Hope. He had better things to do than run after some ball. He knew that if he had been in that room, Vardemus would've chosen him.

**

They arrived at the field after around ten minutes of driving. Jaxon wore a black loose shirt, his chains hanging around his neck, fingers adorned with rings and his hair messy. He didn't want to be there. However, Josie, Lizzie, Kaleb and MG asked him to just so he could play some trick once or twice for them. He was after all, a god. His powers were beyond limits. With him by their side, even though he was not playing, they'd definitely win.

Landon was having a hard time. He was unable to throw the ball. His shoulders fell in defeat as Jaxon approached them, "that was absolutely painful to watch."

"Shut up, he's trying." Josie rolled her eyes, "this would've been much easier had you been the quarterback."

"Not my fault I woke up late."

"It kinda is." Landon mumbled sarcastically under his breath making the demigod smirked as he said with a teasing tone, "good luck, Kirby."

"I totally suck at this," Landon sighed, "I can't even throw a ball!"

Jaxon raised his brows at Josie suggestively, "you might wanna give him a hand."

Josie furrowed her brows in confusion, "what— oh. Right." She gave him a small smile which he didn't bother to return as he walked away.

"What's up with him?" Landon asked, staring at his walking figure. Josie shrugged before holding out her hand to hold Landon's before muttering a spell which allowed him to throw the ball very well. The ball ended up hitting the door of a bus making Kaleb break into a proud smile, "that's my quarterback!"

Just then, the door of the bus flung open and a group of students from the mystic falls high school began to walk out. Jaxon stared at them, his eyes instantly falling on Hope.

His brows furrowed, what the hell was she doing there? She had her hair tied and was wearing a pair of red shorts with matching red top looking as hot as ever.

Sensing him, Hope's eyes searched around until they finally landed on Jaxon. Upon seeing that he was already staring at her, she adverted her gaze.

As the players were warming up, Jaxon quickly made his way over to Hope who was talking to Ethan who narrowed his eyes at Jaxon upon seeing him, "who are you?"

Ignoring him, Jaxon looked at Hope, "we need to talk."

"You can wait, bro." Ethan intervened, "the game's about to start."

"Did I fu—" Jaxon cut himself off, "did I speak to you? No, right? So shut—"

"— Five minutes," Hope said, grabbing his hand before dragging him away from Ethan, sensing he was on edge. Once they were far enough, she crossed her arms and looked at him, "what is it?"

He ran a hand through his dark hair, messing them up before inhaling sharply, "I wanted to apologize. I was being selfish. I— I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

"Damn right you weren't," she muttered, refraining herself from rolling her eyes which made him frown. "Shut up. I'm trying here."

"Trying not to be an asshole?" She asked, raising her brows before letting out a small sigh, "it's okay. I get it."

"You do?"

"Yeah," she pursed her lips in a thin line, "I'm pretty sure I would've done the same thing if I were you. I mean, I can see how everything's changed for the better. It makes sen—"

"—No. It doesn't," he shot her a look, "they should remember you. You don't deserve that. It was never up to me. I was being a dick."

"You were just thinking about the happiness of your family and friends, I totally get that." She reassured, "you just want them to be safe. I've always caused nothing but trouble."

"Stop saying shit," he rolled his eyes, "or better yet. Stop talking."

"You're the one who wanted us to talk."

"And we did," he responded, his hand grabbing her wrist before he pulled her close, one hand staying clasped around her wrist while the other one going to the side of her neck, "now that that's over..." He leaned down and placed his lips on hers before ensuring that nobody was watching. Hope instantly relaxed into the kiss, her hands going to the back of his neck as she kissed him back, their lips moving in sync.

"Jax—" Alaric instantly cut himself off as he was greeted with the sight in front of him, "— for the love of— break apart right now! I didn't have to see that!"

Jaxon smirked when Hope instantly pulled away at the sound of Alaric's voice.

"What do you want?"

"Come with me," the previous Salvatore school headmaster said, refraining himself from gagging to be dramatic. He then looked at Hope, "you go play your game."

"Is everything okay?"

"I'll let you know if there's anything," Alaric promised earning a nod from Hope before she walked away.

"Sweet." Jaxon drawled out sarcastically, "you two already bonded."

"She came crying to me last night." Alaric informed, "we'll talk about that later. Dorian has something to show us."