30

JAXON WAS IN HIS ROOM after everything that happened. He went to take a shower while Hope went outside to see what Santa was up to.

After having taken a shower, he slid on his grey sweatpants and a white shirt. He had his towel on his hair and he furiously wiped it, to prevent water from dipping down from the strands when someone knocked on his door.

"It's open," he said and watched as the door swung open and Josie stepped inside and walked over to him with a wrapped box in between her hands. It wasn't big, rather it was small. "It's not Christmas but it's your birthday so..." She held the box out to him, "happy birthday, Jax."

Taking the box from her, he sat on the edge of his bed and unwrapped it all while glancing at her every now and then as if he was almost certain he would get pranked. He used to prank her on her birthdays but unfortunately he was not able to that year because of all the things that happened.

He opened it and narrowed his eyes at the object. Then he looked up and found Josie smiling brightly at him, awaiting his reaction. "Wow!" He exclaimed dramatically with fake awe— something she was unable to catch as her smile brightened. He cleared his throat and stared at the unusual object again, "so what exactly am I looking at?"

Her smile fell, "are you serious?"

"Wait I know..." He picked up the object and inspected it. It was made of silver and it was emitting a light glow. It had the shape of a J— the first letter of his name. But that was it. "A brooch?"

"Actually," Josie stepped forward and took the object from him, "It can be whatever you want it to be— any jewelleries, I mean. You just have to picture it. Like if you want it to be a necklace, a ring or even a bracelet, it will be."

"You're such a witch," He muttered, staring at the object before picturing it as a necklace. He then slid it on and raised his brows at her, "how does it look? Amazing, right? I know ‘cause everything looks good on me." She rolled her eyes at his cockiness which she knew was fake. 

"You know," she started, "that's not all it does."

"No?"

"No," she repeated, shaking her head, "whenever you're feeling down or angry or sad or whatever, you can just touch the letter and it will calm you down— relax you."

"You mean, like a drug?"

"Sure, if that's how you want to see it." She smiled, "for only a few seconds though."

"It's a really thoughtful gift. One of the bests I've ever received. I love it, thank you." his words were filled with honesty which made her smile widen. However, it was soon replaced with a frown as if she suddenly remembered something.

Jaxon noticed the sudden change in her demure. He looked up at her, "hey, is everything okay?"

She shook her head, biting her lips as tears filled her eyes. Even when they were younger, Josie would go to either Jaxon or Lizzie whenever something would happen. When she'd get into a fight with her twin, Jaxon was her escape. He was there for the twins as much as they were for him. They knew they could be themselves with him, truly themselves.

"All right," he narrowed his eyes at her in question, "here or roof?"

Her response came instantly, "roof."

"After you," he motioned towards the window. Josie held her tears in as she walked to the window and climbed out to the roof, carefully with Jaxon closely behind. Once they were both sitting on the edge, their legs dangling, they looked down to see the view of the backyard.

Jaxon looked up, feeling instantly at peace when he stared at the view in front of him; the moon and the stars were beautifying the dark sky.

"So, shoot." He said to his sister who had been quiet. She said nothing even though he asked which made him look at her, "if you don't say anything, I'm gonna start taking guesses." Again, she was quiet.

He sighed, "it's Landon, isn't it?"

Her silence answered his question.

"Fuck did he do?" He asked, "did he break up with you?"

She wordlessly nodded, the tears falling from her eyes, "I— I thought I had finally found someone. I— he—" she choked out a sob, "— he's still in love with Hope."

"He's such a dick," Jaxon muttered, throwing an arm around her shoulders before pulling her close, "but hey, look on the bright side. He'll never have her. He'll spent his entire life loving her all whole knowing damn well she's never going to be his. That's gonna hurt."

"Make sure to go full PDA in front of him." Josie mumbled, burying her face in his shirt.

"You're evil," he laughed which resulted in her doing the same, "it's all your fault. You're rubbing off on me."