Jamel Campbell

Hello Dear Reader,

My name is Jamel Campbell and this is my story.

I was a boy born in Queens, New York raised in Kissimmee, Florida.

Crafted of the sun's golden rays, an ingot of iron and the smell of the rain.

My eyes opened and I became alive.

Pygmalion and Galatea.

From the moment I saw, I was able to see.

From the moment I breathed, I was able to breathe.

Never had to lay on pillows full of regret,

Or sleep in sheets full of anxietized sweat.

I always knew who I was and who I was meant to be.

I'm not cocky but i'll definitely say it, i'm a man full of talents.

Anything these hands of patience and speed touch become the reins I use on my horse.

My horse's name is love.

I ride that horse on rare occasions, but when I do, I ride the horse hard.

Place all my heavy breathing, all my interest and determination, all on you, cards on the table.

I have a home in my soul, a place where I allow birds to come in when it's raining.

I'm the boy who took Tinkerbell in and kept her safe.

The boy who said they didn't want to go.

The boy who sits by his window and thinks about the world's most peculiar questions at night.

The one who makes people into better people just by being around them.

A lot of people wish for my downfall, they sincerely hope i lose at the game we are all playing;

And personally that's fine.

I will still breathe when your words cut me like a knife, and it'll hurt, but only for a short while.

Sometimes I crave assurance from people who don't seem to care.

Why? Not even I know the answer to that.. Food for thought though.

Why do I crave assurance when I already know how they are thinking? I can feel it.

The fact I have to question it alone is why we shouldn't be friends.

At the end of the day, I am Jamel Campbell.

The boy who stares at the sun whenever he chooses and accepts the pain of my choice.

The boy who smiles unconditionally and means the brightness it gives off.

People scrape the color off of my skin and the marrow out of my bones and I rebuild it stronger.

I'm sure many people feel the same about themselves and maybe they are right.

However, I'm the one who knows it to be true.

I just wish people would let me wake up in the mornings;

Let me shine as much as i want to without being told I'm different today when I'm not.

I'm the same as every other day, as I've explained with this poem.

This silly little letter to my past self..... Jamel.