18 • Unsaid Feelings

Mishti :

It's around 5.30PM when I reached orphanage. I came out of the car as the driver opened the door. He handed me the cheque which Mom had given him. I kept it inside my purse. "Uncle, will you join me or you have some work? " I asked him.

"I will go to my home, my wife's health is not well, " he replied opening the trunk of car to take out the gifts. I kept some money in his pocket, " Take care of Aunty, " I said , he smiled brightly and put his hand on my head, "God bless you, " he muttered, I smiled at him.

"Give me the gifts, I can carry it, you go, your wife must be waiting for you, " I said taking some gifts from his hand.. Then he put other gifts on it. I could not even see anything due to the gifts.

"Can you manage? " he asked, I nodded.

Looking aside, I took baby steps towards the orphanage. The gifts fell from my hands as I bumped with someone. I looked up and got shocked for a second. Abir! It was him.

I bent down and started picking the gifts, he too picked some of it. "What are you doing here? " he asked getting up, " None of your business, " I shrugged and made my way to the entrance, he followed me with the gifts.

How on this earth everytime I go somewhere I collide with Abir? Like how?

As I kept my bare feet inside the orphanage house, my heart stopped for a moment. I felt something strange, my vision got blurred. I closed my eyes and tightened my grip around the gifts as my head started spinning. Every year I came to this orphanage in this day and every time something like this happens with me..

"Are you okay? "

I opened my eyelids hearing Abir's voice from my back, I just nodded to him. I gathered all my strength and went inside.. I spotted a middle aged woman, she smiled looking at me. I had met her before.

I forwarded the gifts to her , Abir too handed the gifts to her and she gave all these to a girl. "Sir! Thank you for coming! " she spoke politely to Abir, I raised my brows.

"Actually he is the landowner, " she said to me.

"Oh.. "

"No, actually my Dad bought this but in my name, " he muttered, I nodded my head.

"Come inside, everyone is there, " saying the lady started walking and we both followed her to a big hall. All the children were sitting on the floor folding their hands with closed eyes. Some older and some middle citizens were sitting on the front.

I stopped, when my gaze fell on the big photo frame of Late Rajashree Maheswari. I just stared at her for some second, my chest tightened in some unknown pain.

"Mishti! Why are you crying? " Abir muttered, then I realized tears were dropping from my eyes. I wiped it before anyone could notice.. It's her birthday today, every year Mom sent me here . But I just feel so strange in this environment..

"Are you okay? " Abir said holding my shoulder, I took a deep breath and blinked my eyes to assure him. Two small frames were hanging under the big frame. One was of her daughter and another was of her son in law. They both died in a car accident long ago.

"Can I please go to outside? " I asked to the lady and she nodded.

Giving her a smile I came out of the room and sat on an empty chair. Abir too came behind me. I pressed my forehead in frustation.

"What's wrong? " he asked, sitting on his knees.

"I don't know, I am just not feeling well, " I muttered, he stared at me with a blank expression..