38. The Fate

Daehyun ran with everything he has to the foot of the hill. When he reached there, he didn't expect to see Mrs Min in a pool of blood. Beside her was Boona shaking her mother vigorously while crying. It was Daehyun's first time to see the little girl cry but it devastated him so much.

"Noona" he mumbled while crouching down and checked her purse and breathe and he came to know that she was no more. He looked around frantically to see if there were any soldiers.

"How....How did this happen?" he asked Boona when there were no soldiers nearby. She was sobbing but after a moment she slowly pointed at the sky and that's when he heard helicopters coming in their direction. His eyes widened in horror. He knew it was not hard for them to launch a bomb. He quickly searched for something in Mrs Min's pockets and found the file in which their country's war secrets were there. He folded the paper and paced it in Boona's jacket pockets.

"Boona, run away. Fast" he said trying to hide her.

"NO, uncle Jeon. You m-must c-come with m-me" little Boona shouted.

"Please understand. You should make out of here at least. I've promised Gaeul that I would bring you safe" Daehyun said remembering the promise to his son. He was sure that the soldiers in the helicopeter saw them. If he ran away with Boona, they would kill both of them and take that file away.

"I-i can't" Boona cried looking at the helicopter and then at him.

"Nothing will happen to me. I'll be alright. Stop crying" he said trying to make her convince but he knew very well that it was his last day.

"Your father worked hard to protect that paper. You should run and give it to our soldiers. Will you do that for your dad?" he asked looking at the helicopter which was coming closer and closer to them. The girl wasn't moving.

"Boona. Go" he said one last time and pushed her into the nearby bushes.

"Please" he begged and the little girl finally nodded while clutching her jacket. She threw a last glance at Jungkook and her dead mother before running away as fast as her tiny legs would take her.

On the other hand, when the helicopter landed the soldiers came down of it. But Daehyun froze in horror when they dragged his husband by the hair as if he was some animal. His eyes went red in anger. He took his gun in the rush of the moment but he froze when they placed a gun on Jihun's head and laughed loudly.

"Take a step forward and see how his brain would look outside his body" a western Korean soldier threatened.

'You guys are monsters' Daehyun said in his mind. There was no law or rules in the war they were currently fighting.

"Please don't" Daehyun placed his gun down and raised his hands in surrender.

"Please don't hurt him," he said in a desperate voice seeing Jihun whine in pain.

"Let's make a deal," the head soldier said and took his gun away from Jihun's head but others didn't. He placed his hand on Jihun's waist making him squirm. The hand slowly trailed up to his chest. Jihun tried to slap that hand away and wriggled. Daehyun was looking angrily at the soldier who was molesting his husband in front of his eyes. He felt like shit that he couldn't do anything.

"Give me that file and we would leave you alone," that soldier said.

"That's not going to happen," Daehyun said pretending that he had the file so that they wouldn't go after Boona. But with Jihun as bait, they reached Daehyun and caught him. They checked him thoroughly but couldn't find the file.

"The file is not here, sir" a soldier yelled to their leader.

"Shit..." the leader cursed.

"Finish him," he said making Jihun's eyes wide.

"NO....." he shouted turning all the attention to him.

"I have that file," he said.

"No, Jihun. Don't" Daehyun shouted knowing well what his husband was doing to protect him. But Jihun just shook his head. He would do anything to protect his husband.

"But promise me to let him go if I did that," he said with determination to which the head soldier only laughed.

"Alright. I'll let him go but will have you. Is that okay?" he asked inching closer to Jihun. But Jihun had no other way to protect his husband. And on top of that, the backup soldiers didn't come on time as expected. If the death is certain, Jihun wants that to be of him. He just nodded at them.

"JIHUN.....baby...No" Daehyun tried to stop him but the smaller wasn't willing to hear him without knowing that there would be no promises to those monsters. Jihun took the money envelope and gave it to them hoping they would only open it in front of their superior. But as soon as the soldier holding Jihun took the paper, he gestured his hand to the soldiers who were working on Daehyun.

Terrified, Jihun turn around only to hear four or five gunshots and his husband lying there on the ground with bullets on his chest and eyes open looking at him. Jihun froze as the world stood motionless for him the second he saw his husband lying dead in front of his own eyes. He didn't know when tears brimmed in his eyes, when they fell down his cheeks, when he fell on his knees and when his body felt numb that he couldn't even move.

"H-ho-" he tried to speak something but the words got stuck in his throat. He gulped the knot that was formed in his throat. He was now starting to pant and grasp the situation that those bastards have killed his husband and he felt his eyes turn red both in pain and rage.

"HONEY..." he screamed and closed his eyes at the awful sight of seeing his husband in a puddle of blood. He finally got the strength to get up and run to his Daehyun's dead body. The soldiers just laughed at his grief.

"Honey...wake up. P-please. I'm here. Y-your Jihun is here" he pleaded and placed Daehyun's head on his lap and to stroked his cheeks with his tiny hands in hopes of making his husband wake up. But Daehyun never batted his eyes.

"Drag him here. Let's have some fun with him. Our superior will like him" the head soldier smirked at Jihun who now hugged his husband tight.

"N-no. Leave me" he wiggled when two soldiers held his hand to lift him. He was sure now that he couldn't escape the lustful gazes of these monsters. He saw the gun beside Daehyun. He didn't know how to aim properly but at least he can shoot. He took that and pointed it at them suddenly. The soldiers just chuckled.

"You think you can win us with that single rifle, you pretty thing?" the head sneered.

But Jihun just leaned down to peck his husband's now blue lips.

"When I said I'll love you till the end of my life, I meant this" Jihun said and held the gun right after pulling away. He looked at those soldiers who were ready to pounce on him to rape him.

But Jihun just chuckled before bringing the gun to his own chest and two gunshots were heard. Everyone's eyes widened when they saw Jihun laying there beside his husband in a blood pool while holding hands under the willow tree. Jihun batted his eyelashes twice while looking in his husband's direction as a pained smile crept on his face.

'I guess no one can oppose fate' he thought before his soul left his body to join Daehyun's.

Soon after that, eastern Korean army soldiers arrived. It was the perfect time to save the country and to break many beautiful families like Daehyun's and Yoonjun's.