3. Painter

700 Years Ago:

The bank of the river was hit by water occasionally as a gentle breeze swayed the trees to a melody. The morning sun cast its pleasant rays on a figure sitting on the shore with legs placed in the water and a flower crown on his lap.

He was holding his hanbok tightly as not to let it get wet. He turned his head towards the direction where the birds chirped happily and a beautiful smile formed on his plump lips. He took that as due to perform his favourite task as he quickly got up and skipped to the village.

On his way he was greeted by his best friend Garam of Kim household.

"Hey, Bora. Again to Seong Hwa's cabin?" He asked as Bora nodded.

"Wae? He wouldn't even glance at you" Garam asked slightly concerned about his best friend. He knew his friend was interested in Seong Hwa, who was a painter in that village. Although no one entirely knew about his identity. But that Seong Hwa wouldn't even spare a glance to the smaller.

Bora was the most beautiful creature in that entire village and was kind too. Even though his efforts were rejected, he kept trying hoping one day he'd gain his beloved's attention. Garam sighed as he shook his head taking his leave.

Bora skipped all the way to the painter's cabin carrying the flower crown he made on the river bank. When he reached the cabin he giggled to himself knocking on the door. He heard a deep 'Come in' and rushed inside to a young man drawing something on his paper.

"Hey, Seong Hwa. Look what I have brought you" Bora beamed as he showed the flower crown with stars in his eyes.

"I made it" he looked down feeling shy as Seong Hwa's eyes roamed on the flower crown he made.

"Leave it there. I'm busy now" the younger replied in a monotone before continuing his work.

Bora smiled trying to hide his tears as he tried not to get hurt.

"Here let me place it on you" He placed the crown elegantly on the taller's head.

"You know it's not good for us to meet this often. People may think we are married" Seong tried to explain with a calm voice.

"So what? I want to marry you anyway" Bora replied sheepishly.

"It's not possible, Bora. You may not like me after knowing who I am"

"Who are you? A satan? Don't give excuses. Just tell me you don't like me to my face. I've been trying for so long and now I'm growing tired......" The smaller was getting tears as he looked at Seong Hwa with desperate eyes.

"I-" the taller was cut off as a handsome male entered into the cabin and held Bora by his ears twisting it all of a sudden.

"What have I told you about this, Bora? Didn't I tell you to stop putting off and just agree to the marriage?" The male shouted with anger as Bora whimpered trying to pull his ear away.

"Papa....leave me. Please. It's hurting"

"Marriage?" Seong mumbled lowly but the smaller's papa heard him.

"Yes, Seong Hwa. He is just goofing around without a worry. He is at marriageable age now. He is wasting his time on someone who wouldn't even care about him" he told Seong Hwa obliviously who was listening attentively.

"By the way, we have to go now," he said as he dragged Bora with him. The smaller had tiny droplets of tears in his eyes as he looked one last time at Seong Hwa before going with his Papa. And that look pierced through the taller heart and he stood still there.