********

Dakota's POV

After getting a frightening message from Dustin about Max, Nancy hit the gas and we arrived at Hawkins High in a matter of minutes.

Before she had even parked I was already out and running into the school. "Max! Max, where are you?"

I rounded the corner and smashed into someone. "Steve! Oh god, where's Max?"

"Where's Nancy?" He questioned.

"Right here!" Nancy caught up to us and I caught sight of some light behind Steve and pushed past him.

Dustin, Max, and Robin were waiting at the end of the hallway, their flashlights trained on the wall. "It was here." Max said. "Right here!"

"What was right there?" I asked.

"A grandfather clock." She said.

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy questioned.

"It was so real." Max's voice wavered. "And then when I got closer, suddenly I just...I woke up."

"It was like she was in a trance or something" Robin told us.

"Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy." Dustin added and I froze.

Max turned around, clearly frightened by what was happening. "That's not even the bad part."

Everyone shared a worried look but I kept my eyes trained on Max. She looked up and we locked eyes.

I opened my mouth to say something but Nancy beat me to it. "Okay...how 'bout we go back to Miss Kelley's room and you explain everything there."

Max nodded and everyone made their way to the counselor room. Without talking about it, we made a protective circle around Max who was sitting on Miss Kelley's desk and she took a deep breath. "Fred and Chrissy both came to Miss Kelley for help." She looked down at her feet.

"They were both having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away. And then... then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping." Her voice cracked and I looked up from the files Robin had handed me. "They'd wake up in a cold sweat. And then they started seeing things. Bad things from their past. And these visions they just...they kept on getting worse and worse until eventually they just-" she paused. "-ended."

"Vecna's curse." Robin whispered.

"Chrissy's headaches started a week ago." Max continued. "Fred's, six days ago. I've been having them for five days."

My heart started racing. "I don't know how long I have, all I know is that for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision." Tears ran down Max's cheeks . "And I just saw that goddamn clock, so..." she sniffed. "Looks like I'm going to die tomorrow."

"No." I shook my head and everyone turned to look at me. "You are not cursed okay. You're not going to die tomorrow!"

"Dakota-"

"No!" I cut her off. "I don't care what you say but you are not going to die tomorrow!"

There was a loud bang outside the classroom and we turned to look at the door.

"Stay here." Steve told us before grabbing a lamp and exiting the room. We all ignored his order and followed him out, illuminating his path as we crept forward.

Footsteps could be heard running toward the hall and Steve lifted the lamp over his shoulder like a bat as the person rounded the corner and he almost hit them in the head with a lamp.