********

Dakota's POV                                     [Edited]

I watched Steve slide over a Banana Split to Erica and tried to keep from laughing when she pushed it back and asked for more fudge.

He clenched his jaw and walked away, clearly annoyed with the girl. "I'll be right back." I told the others before following Steve to the counter and watching as he grabbed a fudge bottle.

"Needs more fudge." He mocked squirting some on the ice cream and I laughed.

"I think you should add a bit more."

He turned to look at me with narrowed eyes. "Don't you start too."

I sent him a sweet smile and took the Banana Split from him as some customers came up to the counter. "I'll take this back."

He sent me a small smile before turning to greet the girls and to my surprise he didn't flirt with them like he usually would. He just took their order and prepared it.

I stared at him in shock for a bit before returning to the table so he wouldn't catch me staring and handed Erica her frozen treat. "So is she doing it?" I asked Dustin and Robin.

Robin grinned. "Yup."

-

Steve, Dustin, Robin, and I all watched the entrance to the room full of boxes anxiously, waiting for Erica to open it.

"All right, nerds." The walkie talkie in my hand crackled to life. "I'm in."

"Do you...do you see anything?" I asked.

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about." She deadpanned.

"Any guards?"

"Negative."

"Booby traps?"

"If I could see them, they'd be pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?"

My brows shot up in surprise at her tone. "Okay...thank you for that."

The radio went silent again. "I'm in." She informed.

"Oh god." Steve put his hands on his face.

We all looked toward the door, waiting for them to open. A minute later they did and an annoyed Erica emerged from inside. "Free ice cream, for life!" She reminded us and I smiled at Steve.

"She did it!" I said excitedly before getting up and heading down to where she was with the others at my heel.

We immediately ran in and Steve got out a pocket knife, grabbing a box and cutting it open to reveal another box inside. He looked at us before turning the handle on the steel box and it hissed, smoke coming out as he lifted the top to reveal four more handles.

"That's definitely not Chinese food." Steve stated.

I snorted and watched as he reached in ready to turn one before hesitating and looking up at us. "Uh, maybe you guys should, you know, stand back."

Us girls did as he said but Dustin shook his head. "No."

"Just step back." Steve repeated.