********

Dakota's POV                            [Edited]

I sat in the kitchen messing with my hands anxiously as Dustin and Steve tried shoving the dead animal I killed in the fridge.

Ugh I hope this is a dream

"Get the door!" Steve snapped and I got up walking over to the living room where Mike was pacing around and Lucas and Max were cleaning up the glass from the floor.

"Is he ok?" I whispered.

Lucas rolled his eyes. "Mike! Would you just stop already?" He demanded.

"You weren't in there, okay Lucas?" Mike snapped. "That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs!"

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin yelled from the kitchen.

"The chief will take care of her." Lucas insisted.

"Like she needs protection." Max muttered.

"Listen dude-" Steve came into the room. "A coach calls play in a game, bottom line, you execute it alright?"

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench." Mike sassed.

"Point is..." Steve tried to save himself. "Right, yeah we're on the bench so uh, there's nothing we can do." He sighed.

"That's not entirely true." Dustin spoke up. "I mean the Demo-Dogs have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away."

I stared at them cluelessly as they kept on talking. "So if we can get their attention-"

"We guys could draw them away from the lab!"

"A clear path to the gate."

"Yeah, and then we all die!" Steve exclaimed.

"That's one point of view." Mike shrugged.

"No, that's not a point of view. It's a fact." Steve spat.

They all started arguing. "I got it!" Mike suddenly exclaimed walking away from us and into the kitchen. "This is where chief dug his hole. This is our way into the tunnel. So..." he walked back into the living room. "Here, right here. This is like a hub. You got all the tunnels feeding in here. Maybe if we set this on fire-"

"Oh yeah? That's a no." Steve quickly said.

"The mind flayer would call away his army-"

"They'd all come to stop us!"

"Hey!"

"And we circle back to the exit."

"Guys-"

"By the time they realize we're gone-"

"El would be at the gate!"

"Hey!" Steve clapped. "This is not happening." He put his hands on his hips.

"But-"

"No, no, no, no, no! No buts. I promised I'd keep you shitheads safe, and that's exactly what I plan on doing. We're staying here! On the bench and we're waiting for the starting team to do their job. While that happened we're also going to help Dakota go back home. Does everybody understand?" He asked and no one answered.

"I said does everybody understand?" He repeated and the kids nodded. Suddenly, the sound of a car approaching the house was heard and everyone ran over to the window.

"It's my brother." Max said her eyes widening. "He can't know I'm here. He'll kill me. He'll kill us."

"Stay inside." Steve ordered as he got out and we all peeked outside to see a boy get out of the car.