Part Twenty

Death and Love
TW: trauma, gross sick stuff

Bright lights, heart monitor.

Matt's worst nightmare.
He stood, wearing a poorly buttond suit. His hands trembled as he watched Frank leave and nurses rush in. Two blood bags and cell transfusions at ready, Alice wasn't breathing. And Matt slowly began to feel how she felt when she lost him. But she didn't. He was standing right next to her still unsure if he really did kill Elektra, with his hands tightly gripping his cane in one hand. He knew that he snapped her neck, that Alice's serum didn't bond with her blood like Alice's. And that was how he knew she wouldn't return, not this time.

But now with Alice having been drained of her blood, without the serum to heal her stab wound her chances were looking slim. And knowing that if the nurses knew who she was eventually the FBI would, and she would be thrown in prison from running from her 340ish days in jail and for the murders at the warehouse Matt only just found out about. So the only reasonable thing is to lie about who she is, now that she doesn't look like herself.

"Mr... Murdock?" A doctor rushed in, "Please, you shouldn't be in here."

"She's my..." Matt tried to get the words out as he hears the nurses push needles through Alice's olive, pale skin. His hands slowly trembled as he bit his lip to stop himself from falling apart. "... I can't see. I won't intervene. I promise... just let me be here." Matt whispered urgently as the doctor pulled out heating pads, large ones— and draped them on Alice's legs and arms, careful of the needles. "Mr. Murdock we are trying to bring this girl back to life, it's best if you aren't here to... stand over us." The doctor tried his best not to offend him. Grabbing a defibrillator. Charging it.

Matt let a small cry leave his throat as he tapped his shaking cane against the tile towards the door. It was nearly two hours since Elektra died. And Frank struggled to find Alice an ER on foot. On the way she slowly faded away, and Frank couldn't get there before she stopped her final breaths.

Matt felt the Equilia subside in his system, enough to where he could think straight. He hated it, knowing what Alice felt 24/7 made him hate it more. But it was already too late to change that.

He hears the doctor yell "clear!", a loud thump sounded as Matt sobbed. Collapsing on a chair outside the room. He ripped his glasses off and laid them down next to him on the chair to his right. He couldn't hold it in anymore, Alice was why he was here. Why he loved. Why he killed.

Hell... he really did kill someone for love.

Matt let out another sob, remembering that he killed his former lover. Someone be use to care so deeply about. He shook his head and tried to calm his trembling, but it only got worse the more the doctor barked unknown orders at the nurses.

"144... 135... declining..." a nurse says to the doctor. A breath of relief hitting Matt so hard he exhaled, feeling a weight lift off his shoulders. She was alive. Her heart was beating. He bounced his knee up and down, awaiting a diagnosis that he knew would be bad.

"She suffered hypovolemic shock, but we managed to keep her stable. She should be alright for now. Can you tell me who she is? The man who brought her in didn't say a word."

The doctors words seemed to melt around Matt as he nodded. Attempting to rush himself back into reality. "I- uh... her name is.."