Part Sixteen

Built
TW: mention of drugs, angst

She picked at her nails. Nervously fidgeting as Frank hot wired a car, grunting as it finally sparked to life. Yet he wasn't going to be driving it yet, it was for later.

Alice wasn't really expecting herself to be so close to Frank willingly. Remembering what he did, but doing her best to forgive and forget. Frank closed the door, leaving it unlocked as he walks up to her. His hands shoved in his jean pockets. He didn't seem very happy either.

"Alice." He starts, "What are you doing?"
"...Waiting for you to start teaching me?" She snapped back, crossing her arms. The thought of Matt really being alive was being unforgiving in her mind. What would he say about what she's going to do? What would she even do knowing he might've been alive? It was crippling, the whole damn world would stop and she wouldn't be able to move. Franks head tilted as he walked past her, signaling her to follow.

As they walked to where he wanted to go, Frank wasn't happy with the sass or the response. "I meant... what do you think your doing asking the person who tried to kill you... for help." He questioned. Not looking in her direction. It was a serious question, regardless if he talked about her like he did care about her, it didn't make up for what he did. At first she didn't respond. Fixing the black padded gloves on her hands. The knuckles thick and heavy. She let the scenery melt around her as she thought, maybe it was because of Elektra, or maybe it was that he is last chance at her redemption. Regardless if it was seven lives, she killed them knowingly. Hardly hesitant. Thinking about it made her nauseous.

"I don't know." She responded, Frank's walking coming to a slow halt. His body still rigid and tall. He turned to her. "I don't know, isn't an answer."

"How do you want me to respond? That I forgive you for killing me? Twice? Or that I forgot everything?" She says snappily. She tried her best not get short, but with her recent luck it isn't helping her emotions. "No. Just why me?" He responded quickly.

"Because your my last hope. Simple." She crossed her arms. Staring up at him.
"To fight Elektra?" He questioned again.
"No shit. What else?" She wasn't listening, wasn't really looking deep into how much deeper that question was. She ignored it. Only answering what he wanted to hear. "Do want me to be a friend or just someone who sits around and helps you self loath." He snapped at her after letting her sit in silence, she flinched at hearing his voice raise, that was something she didn't like from him. She didn't say anything back. She didn't trust him yet. "I ain't gunna touch you, Alice." He reassured, "But you need to be honest with me, if no one than just me. Why are you wanting my help?" He questioned softly, crossing his arms and looking down at her. She slowly shifted her weight. Why did she want his help?

Frank killed her. He did it and wasn't sorry for it. But hearing him feel remorse and guilt for what he did really put him in perspective for her. He wasn't cold hearted, and he cared enough to help her now. She looked back up at him. Tilting her head slightly to take in the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes from squinting through a scope so many times in his difficult life. The 5'o clock shadow on his face from neglecting his nightly routine. Maybe he was slowly becoming a friend.

"... I'm alone." Alice whispered, the words shocking Frank nonetheless. His lips parted to object to it. Make her feel better, but she turned to walk away. His heart dropping at the fact she didn't want to open up to him, or even talk at all. "Alice... I'm sorry." He starts.

Her step came to a halt as she turned, her body stiffening.

"You've been through shit, and I've done my best to understand but I can't." He explained his thoughts the best he could, but he wasn't sure how. "Just talk to me, and later we can train. You'll feel a little better. Kay' sunshine?" He says sternly, his tone softening.

She fidgeted with the hem of Matt's long sleeve shirt on her body. Thinking long and hard. But maybe it wasn't too difficult to think at all knowing he felt he made a mistake, that he wanted to get closer to her and be a friend. She took a shaky deep breath. Popping her fingers.

"I miss what it was." Alice started, Franks arms uncrossing as he listened. The breeze brushing against her cold face as she moved a curly lock from her eye. The darkness of the forest making it feel more secure, more private. She felt better about this. "... When I first met Matt, I was still with Harry. Even then I was happier than I am now... I guess." She says quietly, looking at her dirty shoes, easily boots she found at a goodwill. But did the job. She continued to stare at them as she talked. "I just... wish I never stepped foot in that bar." She reminded herself of when she helped Foggy home, seeing Harry and how handsome he was before drugs did the best of him. Giving him her number, and that's what started it. But now he's in prison, a life sentence without parole. She can easily say she doesn't love him anymore, but she still has a heart for him. "... Frank, I don't want to go on anymore. There's no point."

"Yes there is." He shook his head, shifting his weight. His words going through one ear and out the other. "You can still turn back now. Elektra can be my problem, not yours. Matt is—" he stopped before he upset her, taking a shaky breath he continued his rant. "... Matt isn't disappointed in you. He understands that what you did you felt you needed too."

"Frank you don't know that. I need to do this. For him." Alice crossed her arms. "Why are you trying to stop me?"

He scoffed, "Do you think Matt would ever forgive me, even if I didn't give two shits if he liked me now, if I let you walk in and try and kill his ex and get yourself killed doing so? No." Frank snapped back, shaking his head and feeling his impatience come back again. "I can't teach you to fight a samurai warrior, but I'll do my best. Aight' sunshine?" He frowned, being the most genuine he can as he stared at her. Waiting for a response. She took a deep and exasperated sigh, nodding reluctantly as Frank smirked.

"Aight. Now let's get a move on. The place is just up the road." He pointed. His boots squealing under the gravel that soon filled the bottoms.

Alice followed, thinking about what would happen during her and Elektras fight. Elektra obviously wants her to suffer. For killing her people, for taking Matt away, the reasons were perfect nonetheless. Alice couldn't help but feel a little remorse. She did kill people and she did it without feeling anything.

But her thoughts drifted to Matt once again.

Frank checks the rounds in his gun for the fourth time, silence drowning him but comforting him anyway. He hears her small steps behind him, some staggered and some quick. Frank didn't want to bother her again. She wasn't coping to Matt disappearing well. Especially when Foggy shared that she held him when he was dead. Frank experienced something similar, but far worse.

Alice listened to the rhythmic sound of the gravel under her boots and Franks hands around the pistol, clicking the rounds in and out. She let Matt invade her mind during the calmed silence, what would she be doing now? Sure she'd be in jail. But what about after? When she would free and working with Matt like a real co-worker. Would they get married? Have kids? Settle down? She frowned at the thoughts, imagining Matt holding their children. His finger gently outlining the small soft nose of the baby, how he would feel doing it. Happy? Bittersweet? She's always wanted kids, but now that won't happen. If she goes back to her normal life she will be in prison for avoiding her sentence, and probably will have life as well. Unable to see Matt. Foggy. Maybe Frank.

She wiped the tear from her cheek, every situation and scenario made her feel worse. But content in an odd way.

Frank hears her sniffles yet let's her cry. He shouldn't bother her, 'not when her end is so close.' He thought. Knowing Elektra would snap her in two was unavoidable, but maybe he could slow it by showing her some moves. But she won't survive. And that'll be the hard part.