Orion Organization

Raphael's POV

I was searching for a new book to read inside Father's library when I heard the doors open. Napalingon ako rito at nakita siyang kapapasok lang bitbit ang makapal na kumpulan ng mga papeles.

He stopped once he saw me, and he looked like he wanted to say something so I respectfully turned towards him.

"Father," I greeted first.

"You should be helping Persephone and the others in searching for the souls of the elders," aniya.

Giving him an innocent look, my eyes blinked at the thought of searching for the souls of the council who was all found strangled and hung under their ancient chandelier.

I tilted my head to the side. "Should I?" I asked, blankly.

Father's jaw clenched, and his grasp of his files tightened.

The council's death was ruled as a suicide but wise men and gods know better. Death, my father, knows better, especially now that he knows the cloth that was used to tie around the oracles' necks were veils.

"Raphael," sambit niya.

Hindi ako sumagot.

"I cannot protect you, anymore."

Silence was always the best answer to a parent expressing his disappointments and worries, but I'd rather remind him than remain shut.

"I do not need any more protecting, Father."

"Yes," pabulong niyang sang-ayon, tila pinapaalala din ang sarili. "You do not."

Kumunot ang kanyang noo nang bigyan niya ako ng nagsusumamong tingin. "This is not the future I want for you, son."

"I know," maikli kong sagot.

"Everything I wanted for you, you, on your own, twisted into something even I cannot comprehend." Napailing siya dulot ng matinding pagtataka. "Why can't you just tell me? Or your mother what is going on?"

"Will you disown me, now?" tanong ko. "Because I still don't want to."

His voice turned bitter. "You have a choice."

"And I choose not to," pagpapatuloy ko sa sinabi niya.

He shook his head again, this time to express his regret. "Raphael..." Tinignan niya ako, nang nag-aalala ang mga mata, ngunit nanatili pa rin at nagpaparamdam ang bigat ng kapangyarihan niya sa likod ng tinging binabato niya sa'kin. 

At alam kong kahit anong klase ng panghihina ang gusto niyang ipakita sa'kin, hindi pa rin magbabago ang pagiging magkaiba namin.

Simply, my father was a god, and his son, a mortal.

"You are playing god, son," aniya. "I am death, not you."

I took in a deep breath as a response, and looked around his office. "Mmm..." Nakapamulsa ako. "I know."

Pagkatapos, matagal kaming nagtitigan.

"If I am causing you too much suffering, Father, you can always kick me out of the house," suhestyon ko.

For some reason, a corner of his lips just raised lightly as he looked down on his papers.

"You did not ask to be born, Raphael," mahinahon niyang sabi. "You did not ask to bear my blood and the name and burden of being my son..."

Inangat niya ang kanyang tingin sa'kin. "I am a god, but I am also your father," saad niya. "I am death, but I am also your life-giver."

"I cannot protect you, anymore, but I can still grant you the protection of home," dagdag pa niya. "Under my wings, and in my palace, you will be the safest."