Isles of the Blessed

Paige's POV

"Since when?" pabulong na tanong ni Vance sa'kin nang magpahuli kami sa kanila papalabas ng dining room.

"Since Henri left." Pareho kaming seryosong nakatuon sa harapan. "Worsened when we found out about the deities."

"Keep an eye on her-"

"You're underestimating her power to control," giit ko.

"Better underestimate than over." He slightly lowered his head, as if preparing to meet head-on a storm. "So, keep an eye on her, don't let her leave your sight, and report to me all changes you're noticing." He instructed before quickening his steps to catch up to Grey.

Binilisan ko rin ang aking mga hakbang upang tabihan si Reign.

"Your brother's worried about me," napagtanto niya.

"We all are," tugon ko.

"Underestimating my awareness and control, Paige?" nadidismaya niyang tanong.

"No," I assured her. "Just worried."

"Vance thinks I'm slipping, doesn't he?" tanong niya. "That's why he talked to you?"

"Why wouldn't he?" sagot ko. "You've been looking at us cold."

"I'm sorry if I can't look at you the same way that I used to," aniya. "But I need you to know that I don't plan to lose myself."

Nilingon niya ako, suot ang isang malungkot na ngiti. "It's what I promised to Mom, did you know that?"

Umiling ako.

"I am not a god, Paige." Mahina siyang natawa. "I was raised by a pair of loving parents, and a pair of even more loving siblings," paalala niya. "So rest assured that I am not going to be overcome by revenge and madness, and turn out to be like one of those... deities."

I tried my best to hide a proud and relieved smile.

"Di ako katulad mo na pilit tinatago yung ngiti," sabi niya dahilan na mailabas ko na nga ang pinipigilan kong ngiti.

"I'm always proud of you, do you know that?" pagbibigay-alam ko sa kanya. "The Orion have nothing against you, honestly."

"Sinasabi mo lang 'yan kasi inunahan kitang pagaanin yung loob mo," natatawa niyang sabi. "Kung dapat ikaw 'tong nagpapanatag ng loob ko."

"I already expected that to happen," giit ko.

Umangat ang magkabilang kilay niya. "Did you?"

"You're Reign," kampante kong sabi sa kanya. "I've known you since the moment I could remember."

She nodded her head in acknowledgement.

"I would never underestimate you," dagdag ko. "Because all you ever did was exceed our expectations."

"Okay lang," aniya. "Hindi naman nakaka-pressure."

"You..." I teasingly nudged her shoulder. "-are the top student of the Academy," paalala ko sa kanya. "And you are the only demigod who possess the most control and awareness, to the point that you were able to develop the legendary ability of aura manipulation."

"You are your own empire, Skyreign Austria," I proudly said. "One that will never fall."

Unti-unting umangat ang magkabilang sulok ng kanyang labi upang mamuo ng isang magaang ngiti.