Chapter 27: Her Love

A l v y

The plane started moving along the runway. I kept tapping on my legs, stomping my feet as I nervously sat on my chair. Is this the best decision? Is leaving her really the best for us? My heart is beating is really fast. Why am I having this feeling that I should go back? Back to her. Back to her side. Get hold of yourself Alvy, you already decided to leave her. You can't turn back anymore.

I wanna love you and treat you right;

I wanna love you everyday and every night.

I suddenly heard my ringtone so I immediately got my phone from my pocket but to my surprise, it's not my phone. I looked at wherever the music was coming from and saw that a man beside me is answering his phone.

"Sir, please turn of your mobile phone."

One of the flight attendants asked the man so he immediately turned it off. But even though the music stopped already, it keeps on playing on my mind. That song. Our song. Our favorite song.

"Anak, alam mo bang ito ang favorite song namin ng mama mo? We danced to this song during our wedding day. I hope that one day, you will find a woman so wonderful like your mom, tapos lagi mo siyang isasayaw kasabay ng kantang 'to. You'll wrap your hands around her waist, and she will put her hands on your shoulders. Then like we always do with your mom, you would dance to this song like it's your first time hearing it. Magtititigan kayong dalawa na para bang walang ibang tao sa mundo kundi kayo lang. I really hope Alvy, na isang araw, may mahahanap kang isang babaeng hindi ka magsasawang isayaw araw-araw."

I remembered my father's words when it was my 15th birthday, he gave me a tape of his favorite song as a gift then he told me those words. I didn't really get why my father said that to me, but now, I finally understand. In front of me, I reminisced on that day when I got to dance with Den with this song.

December 19, 1997

After being soaked in the rain, umuwi kami sa bahay para dun magpalit. Sa sobrang dalas kasi na nandito si Den, may damit na siyang naiwan dito. Kahit na hindi na pumunta si Den dito ng ilang buwan pagkatapos niya akong iwasan, pinatago pa rin ni mama yung mga damit niya dahil alam niyang babalik at babalik raw si Den dito sa bahay. And she really did. Naligo siya at nagpalit sa kwarto ni Liza. Pagkatapos ko namang magpalit, dumiretso naman ako sa baba para maghanda ng pagkain ng maabutan ko si mama na pinapatugtog niya yung favorite song nila ni papa.

Alvy: Ma, ilang beses mo na bang pinapatugtog yan?

I know. Whenever my mother misses my father, she will always play this song and she will always dance to it.

"Alvy, halika. Sayaw tayo."

Then she will always call me to dance with her and be her partner.

Alvy: Ma talaga eh.