Chapter 17: Broken... Beaten...

A l v y

Standing in front of me, with her eyes wide open, Dennise remained frozen in her tracks as she looked at me with complete surprise.

Ly: Den...

Her name. It is what I can only utter. What am I supposed to feel? The woman who I loved the most, is soon to be married to a close friend of mine. Is history repeating itself again? Am I bound to only love her from a distance? Am I bound to only love her in secrecy? Just when I thought that maybe we both have a chance, reality is slapping me once again. The truth is snapping me out my dreams and hopes again. And that truth is Den and I... Are never meant to be together...

Bern: You guys know each other?

It took me awhile to contain myself, stopping myself from having an emotional breakdown, and to speak a legit sentence.

Ly: Yes... We work in the same hospital...

Bernard looked at us with total confusion all over his face. He shifted his gaze from left to right, confused of the heavy atmosphere between me and Den.

Bern: Well I didn't expect that. Sa PMC ka rin pala nagtratrabaho. Dun rin kasi ako but I had to go to California for training for 4 months.

I shifted my eyes to Bernard who looks like he has a lot of stories to tell, and he couldn't wait to chatter, like he always do back in Korea.

Ly: I didn't know that. Then are you going back to PMC?

Bern: Yes. But enough of work first. Come on. Let's take our sits first. Food is about to be served.

Bernard pulled the chair beside him, offering the chair to Dennise. Dennise walked past me and sat on the chair beside Bernard, who was about to sit when I spoke again.

Ly: I'm sorry Bern. I can't stay long. I have to go back to the hospital again. Nagpaalam lang ako na bibilisan ko. It's my shift tonight and I have a patient to watch.

No. I wrapped all the things I have to do before I came here. But I don't think I can take a scene with the girl I loved since high school with her fiance who was my partner back in Korea. I've suffered too much when Vic and Den were in a relationship, do I even have to take the exact same scene again? Although this time, she's not with a boyfriend anymore, but now with a fiance. And again, I'm out of the picture...

Bern: But... How about dinner? At least you can just have dinner with us? Marami pa naman sana akong sasabihin.

I smiled at him, concealing all the pain exploding inside me.

Ly: I'm sorry. Next time, I promise...

Den had her head bowed down all the time, like a criminal found guilty inside the court. I can't help myself but smile bitterly with all the irony unfolding in front of me.

Bern: Okay then... Bukas na lang, I'll be working back in PMC tomorrow.

I just smiled again and immediately exit myself without even taking a glance at Den again. I'm feeling college all over again. I can't help but reminisce on the days when I had to hide whatever feelings I have for her, just so I can maintain my friendship with them. Why is my life such a soap opera? When can I be happy? When will I stop being miserable?

I slowly walked to the parking lot, with so many depressing thoughts in mind. I have a feeling that I want to cry so bad, but not even a single tear escaped my eyes. Why? Have I cried so much for Den that no tear is left to shed? Damn it... I'm driving my car with quite a fast speed, without any direction in mind. I just... I just want a breath of air. I'm so devastated I feel like I'm choking. I'm starting to space out while driving when a figure caught my eye. Inapakan ko agad ang break ng may taong biglang nagcross. When my car stopped, agad akong lumabas ng sasakyan ko para icheck kung anong nangyari. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw the person, a male teenager to be specific, sitting on the concrete floor, silently.