Chapter II: Act VIII

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╗
Separated Once More
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦✧.·:·.*═╝

(F/n) frowned lightly as they took in their grandfather's words. "Do we have to go back today? I thought the plan was that we were supposed to go back at the end of the week!" They exclaimed with a broken look.

(F/n)'s grandfather sadly smiled as he ruffled his grandchild's hair, making sure not to touch the cat child's ears.

"I know you don't want to go back, especially with what the Commissioners are forcing us into doing... but we can't help it. I'm sorry," he apologized softly.

(F/n) stared at their feet in sadness, not wanting to believe a single word. They didn't want to leave (Y/n) behind and alone, even if the said (H/c)ette had friends here in Liyue.

"We don't have to listen to them! They might be the boss of us because of a thing called taxes but they can't take our freedom away!" They huffed out in annoyance.

The grandfather just shook his head. "I'm sorry, (F/n)." He apologized once more.

(F/n) gritted their teeth and harshly stomped off, not wanting to listen to another excuse their grandfather spewed from his lips.

"Be back before we're timed to leave in an hour!" Their grandfather shouted.

✧˖*°࿐

(Y/n) gave a side glance to an upset (F/n), who kept kicking their feet back and forth on the tree stump that they were sitting on.

"So... you're leaving?" (Y/n) whispered, fidgeting with his fingers bit.

(F/n) bit the inside of their cheek and nodded. "Yeah... I don't wanna leave though, I like it here." They whispered, their voice cracking a bit.

(Y/n) didn't know what to say, but he could feel the world around him crashing. Just why does (F/n) have to leave today? They were here in Liyue within less than twenty-four hours.

"I... is there a reason why?" (Y/n) gently asked.

(F/n)'s eyes teared up, their tail laying flat up against their hip. "Problems with the transit and taxes that are being doubled illegally," they answered.

(Y/n) frowned. "How long were you originally supposed to be here?"

(F/n) gave their full attention to the (H/c)ette. "A full week," they answered.

(E/c) eyes dulled a bit when their owner heard the answer that was given to him.

Life wasn't fair.

And sadly, it would never be fair.

"Let's spend however long you have remaining... together, okay?" (Y/n) asked while getting up onto his feet and dusting away any dirt he would've collected.

(F/n)'s eyes widened a bit as an (S/c) hand was placed in front of them to grab.

Teary dark blue eyes lifted and made eye contact with a pair of (E/c) hues that stared back at them with a saddened but reassuring gaze.

(F/n) quickly grabbed (Y/n)'s hand, allowing the said (H/c)ette to pull them up off the tree stump.

"What are we supposed to do for an hour?" (F/n) mumbled underneath their breath, glancing up at the slightly taller child beside them.

(Y/n) gave a thoughtful look before smiling. "We can try and catch frogs like we used to, or we could go down to the food carts?" He retorted.

(F/n) sniffled a bit as they wiped away the unshed tears from their eyes. "Either work, I just wanna spend my remaining hour here in Liyue with you," they whispered.