Chapter Thirty-Four

They drove down the road towards my house. I expected to have a non expensive car, but they decided to drive a sleek black tinted Mercedes. This was one of the lastest models as well.

Living in south side and a black Mercedes like this one ain't good news. These motherfuckers finna come out and think that this means shits about to go down.

I never really explained where I lived or how I lived. They didn't say anything and if they were judging I couldn't tell.

"It's the house on the left that's all white," I said.

I looked out the window and watched my whole childhood fly by my eyes. Damn, it feels weird being back here. After being up in LA and in their house, it just weird.

It was snowing earlier, so snow covered the ground. It's going to be fun being back in Chicago. Grayson parked the car and I got up. He opened the trunk and I waited.

Forget waiting let me go get mom first of all. I hadn't told her that I was bringing them along. I didn't expect them to even come with me. They just came.

I opened the rickety fence and knocked on the door. I heard her yell from the inside. The door swings open.

"Hey momma," I smile.

"You should have told me you was coming, your plane wasn't this earlier," she says.

She pulls me into a hug and I hug her back. I hurried my face into her and squeezed her. I missed her so much. I don't think I could tell her.

I pulled away and she looked out towards the door. She looked at the car and raised her eyebrows. She looks Gray and Eli up and down.

"You got chauffeurs? Baby, they treating you good up there," she laughs.

"Momma, they ain't my chauffeurs."

Grayson pulls my suitcase and Elijah carried my other suitcase. I didn't pack half of my stuff, they did for me. I just laid in the bed and watched them. I couldn't move and didn't have the energy to pack.

"Then who are they?"

"Can we go inside first."

She moves from the door. I can tell she cleaned up the house. There wasn't anything on the floors and the house smelled of pine. She must have cleaned the whole house before I came. It warm inside and I looked around.

I looked at frames of me when I was little. My dad in one where he was holding me as a baby. The feeling sunk in, but I had to ignore it. Elijah and Grayson came inside. They greeted her and I just stared at the last photo of me and my dad.

"Iris, who is these white men? Tell me you haven't gotten yourself in trouble," she sighs.

"No, this is Elijah and Grayson," I introduce.

"Likke gyal don't ramp wit me, who dem be?"

Her accent changed to Jamaican and not a trace of American in her voice. She was going to embarrass me. How do I explain to my mother that there my boyfriends?

"There my boyfriends," I blurt.

She started to laugh and I glanced at them. One thing about my mom is she doesn't take shit seriously. She doubts I'm being serious, but nobody laughed. Her laughter died down.

"Ya a joke."

"Nasa, how old you be?" She ask.

She looked towards them and she waited from them to answer. My mom was like a midget to them. She had to look up at them. I had gotten her height.

"I'm thirty one," Elijah answered.

"Twenty-seven," Gray says.

"Blood of Jesus, Iris ah wha you do big men? Mi a send to school nasa come out mi house. Out," she rants.