16. Regret and swelling

Kate was sat in an empty stairwell instantly regretting her decision. But she knew it was for the best, James would be happier and Lily would get rid of Amos and everyone would be happier, well almost everyone. She didn't mind though, she had kept the Amos thing a secret from them being upset about leaving James would be easy enough.

She wasn't too sure how or when exactly she was going to break up with James. Her current plan was in a week's time, and would tell her friends that she felt like she just wasn't ready for a longer term relationship and he was looking for that. She thought that was the most believable way for her to break up with him as he was an angel. He hadn't done much wrong, never forgot to include her, stuck up for her against his fan club and their vicious words. She knew she was going to miss his company, his stupid jokes, the way he would constantly touch his hair and fiddle with his glasses. If Lily did get with him, maybe he would come around with her, she would hope.

"This is going to be shit." Kate whispered to herself and dragged her hands down her face with a groan. Finished wallowing in her self pity, she got up and headed to be social.

-

One of the only thing lifting Kate's mood was the inevitable prank that was bound to publicly humiliate Amos. She was wondering, where and how they were going to do it but Kate knew she would enjoy it either way and was deeply looking foreword to it.

It finally happened two days later at dinner, the busiest time of the day. The prank was at the back of Kate's mind, too busy with the soon break up, distracted by her friends and the food on her plate, she'd been to distracted to see what had happened.
All she saw was Amos getting up and running out of the great hall with his hands over his swelling face looking as if he'd been stung by 100 bees.
She looked over to the four boys snickering to themselves and mouthed a "thank you." before tiring back to her friends.

"Do you think I should go after him?" Lily asked with a bit lip.
Pointing her fork at Lily, Kate said. "Absolutely not, give him a taste of his own medicine."
"But-" She tried.
"Shh." Kate stopped her before she could speak. "He obviously doesn't respect you. So why would you go after him when he doesn't deserve it."
Lily thought about it for a second and then dug back into her jacket potato.
"Did you have something to do with this?" Marlene leant over and whispered in Kate's ear.
"Are you going to tell Dorcas you like her?" She countered back quietly.
"I don't know what you're talking about." Marlene sulked slightly.
"Then I don't know what you're talking about." Kate finished and went back to her meal.

You'd have to be blind to not notice Dorcas and Marlene's infatuation with each other. Constantly staring at the other from across the dorm when they think the other isn't looking. And the not so subtle ogling when getting dressed. They had started spending much more time alone together, going on walks, sitting together at meals, games of chess, going off at Hogsmeade. It was obvious to everyone but them.

"You should tell her." Kate finished and then went back to eating as if nothing had happened.

-

Kate found herself sat on the astronomy once again, not in the mood for cooking or baking.
She'd recognised that she was distancing herself from the girls in an attempt to make their inevitable prying that was bound to come less frequent and annoying. The view was stunning from up there, the whole grounds were to her seen, the quidditch pitch, the forbidden forest, the courtyard all seemed so small, so pointless.
She heard footsteps get closer to the top of the tower.  Instead of turning around she'd decided to look right over herself, leaving her head upside down, then seeing the feet of an upside down James.
"How do you always know where I am?" Kate flipped to look back over the view.
"Secret." He simply replied. "Why are you up here?"
"I like being able to see the entire grounds." She commented. "Thank you for the prank, I think he might stop being such a dick."
"Probably not." He sat down next to her.

"So what did you give him?" Kate couldn't stop the temptation of asking.
"Just a simple swelling potion in his juice." James replied and leant his chin against the railings.
"Are you looking foreword to it?" She spewed out.
"To what?" James furrowed his brow and looked over to her.
"Being with Lily."
"You're that sure it will work?" He said with a small breath.
"Yes. I convinced her to not go after him today." Kate told him. "I'm sure I could convince her to break up with him."
"How are we going to break up?" He asked.
Kate began to explain her plan.
"I will break up with you. The reason because you are looking for a longer term relationship and I am not, however it was a mutual decision."
James nodded along to her words.
"What if Lily doesn't want to date me because I'm your friend. You know, girl code or something." He looked concerned.
"Then I will simply tell her the whole thing was fake." Kate shrugged. "So you could practice for her."
"Then she'd be impressed." He nodded again and looked out to the grounds.
"You didn't answer my question." Kate said.
"Hm?" He looked confused for a split second. "Yes I am looking forward to it."

Kate wondered if he'd join them on their summer holiday, same for Frank. She knew he would be happy with Lily. Happier than he could be with her. But seeing her friends happy was more important and watching Amos to lose to James Potter once again would be a sweet thing to see.

-
an/
This is a shorter chapter but i am very tired so i wanted to get this out before i sleep.
whose your favourite marauder?