29. Graduation

Kate couldn't help but feel sad when her entire class were stood in the great hall, adorning silk robes of their house colours.
"It's insane that we're never going to be here again." Alice said.
"Unless you work here." Marlene offered.
"Well, I don't think any of us plan on becoming a professor." Lily joked. "You'd have to deal with all the little shits that come here."
"Oh god, I'd rather do anything than that." Kate whispered with wide eyes. "It would be hell."
"What running round after rapscallions like myself." James had suddenly appeared behind her, obviously listening in on their conversation and wrapping an arm around her.
"Especially like you." Kate rolled her eyes but leant against him anyway, taking some pressure off of her feet.
"I'm wounded, man down!" He whispered comically
into Kate's ear. She laughed.
"When is this thing going to be over?" Marlene loudly asked.

As if on que, Professor Dumbledore walked up to the podium and boomed out.
"Class of 1977! You have all passed your NEWTS. It is not time for us to let you go from these castle walls and out into the real world."
They then went up one by one and collected their NEWT certificates, it was a long and boring process until everyone had gone up to the front and returned to where they originally stood.
"Head of houses have each chosen a student that they believe has stood out their entire time through Hogwarts." Dumbledore explained.
Each head of house then stood up to the podium like they all just had. Mcgonagall, then stepped up.
"This student has consistently and repeatedly shown resilience and courage throughout all of their seven years at Hogwarts. And for that I present them this award, a true Gryffindor! Lily Evans, will you please come up."

Lily was bright red as she walked up to the front of the great hall as Gryffindor erupted in cheers.
"WOOOO!"
"GO LILY!"
Various cheers came from their friend group, cheering louder than anyone on the hall and embarrassing Lily even more. She quickly thanked Mcgonagall and pretty much ran back to the group.
"I can't believe she picked me!" Lily exclaimed.
"Well it's not really a shock." Dorcas laughed. "You're like the perfect student." Marlene added.
"Ok, maybe it was a bit predictable." She admitted and looked down to the floor.
"There's nothing wrong with being an academic." Kate shrugged. "Even if you are a big nerd."
"Oi!" Lily furrowed her eyebrows in mock anger.

"Class of 1977! It is your last night at Hogwarts! Make it count!" Dumbledore said with that wise sparkle in eyes. "Also remember to pack all of your things or you shall never see them again."
With that they left the great hall and went their separate ways. Kate couldn't lie, she was emotional about leaving. Living here for 7 years for most of your year, it feels like leaving home.

"I can't believe we actually did it." Marlene breathed out as they headed back to the common room.
"I know, this shit show is finally over." Kate replied. "I'll miss seeing you guys every day though, however I will love having my own bedroom again and not having to share a bathroom."
"Oh having my own bathroom again!" Dorcas groaned in delight. "You lot are messy as fuck."
The girls all laughed at Dorcas's comment, knowing it was true, the bathroom was always a state with things strewn everywhere.
"Do you know if there's a party tonight?" Lily asked.
"I think there's one in the Ravenclaw tower, but I'm not too sure." Alice replied. "If not, we could all hang out in the common room with drinks."
"I'd prefer that, nicer for the last night, more intimate." Kate suggested.
"I think we should do that then. Us and the boys?" Marlene asked.
"If they want to come then yea. Why not?" Dorcas said.

The group made it to the common room, and found the four people they were looking for.
"Hey, you lot." Alice shouted over to them. "Us lot in the common room later, bring drinks."
  "Cool. What drinks?" Sirius shouted back.
"Anything you fancy." She told him.
"We'll see you there." James said and winked.
The girls headed up to the dorm to get packing and ready.

"Hey, we can plan our trip now, we will all be in the same place." Lily said.
"And then we can get shitfaced." Marlene added.
"Absolutely." Lily replied instantly.
The girls have accumulated a huge pile of clothes on the floor.
"Well, now we just have to remember who's is who's." Kate said with a grimace.
"God, I can't remember. We all share." Alice groaned  and threw her head back.
The next couple hours were spent gruellingly sorting through the massive pile of clothes trying to remember who's was want as they always shared clothes, shoes, whatever. Arguing on who's shirt that was, the pairs of jeans, countless heels and dresses were argued and fought for.
Finally, they had sorted and packed their clothes into their trunks as tightly as possible.
"This bra isn't mine!" Lily said and held it up.
"That's Kate's, look at it." Dorcas snorted.
Lily then dramatically slid across the dorm floor.
"Here is your absolute massive bra." Lily giggled and wrapped it around Kates neck.
"It's not, that, big." Kate scoffed and rolled her eyes while she shoved it into her trunk.
"I could wear it as a hat." She deadpanned and walked back to her bed.

"What are we drinking tonight?" Marlene asked while lounging on her bed.
"I've got a bottle of vodka." Alice said. "But no mixers." She looked crestfallen.
"I've got some fire-whiskey." Dorcas added.
"We will just have to drink it straight then." Lily shrugged and they all looked at her shocked.
"What? It's the last night here, might as well get hammered."
"Why not?" Kate agreed and slid on her regular duck slippers, getting ready to head down to the common room.

-

It had it 9pm and the sunset was just starting to peek over the horizon. The girls then had finished packing and headed down to the common room to meet the Marauders.
"Hey. What drinks did you guys bring?" Kate asked and sat down on the floor on the foot of the sofa under James's legs. He was wearing his duck slippers too.
"We have, white rum and fire-whiskey." Sirius replied and held up the bottles.
Drinks were poured and conversation started flowing.
"Hey. Before we get too drunk, we need to plan what's going on next week." Alice butted in.
"We've got, Kate's birthday party on one night, obviously we have to spend time on the beach, and we can go into town." Marlene suggested.
"I like the sound of that. I don't mind doing the cooking." Kate smiled.
"You were already doing the cooking." Dorcas said.
"I know." Kate rolled her eyes.
"But we will appreciate every meal." Remus mocked.
"Is everyone ok with that plan?" Alice asked.
Series of yeses came from the group.
"Good. Apperate there at 12 on Monday?"
They all agreed once again.

Their conversations then split off throughout the group.
"You're wearing your slippers." Kate said and leant her head back to look up at James.
"Yes, I like them, they keep my feet warm." He replied.
"Well that is their job." Kate giggled. "But we match now." She finished.
"How have you been?" James asked and put his elbows down to his knees.
"I've been ok. I can't wait for our trip, I'm so excited." Kate beamed.
"Me too, I love the beach." James smiled back.
"Me too! I love the sea the most, it's my favourite part." She said.
"So um, what are you planning on cooking while we're there?" He asked, still leant over so he could hear Kate, his mouth close to her ear.
"Well pizza is a given, everyone loves that, but it's going to be hot, so probably more spreads of foods instead of like an actual meal."
"That sounds great, I don't mind helping you out." He offered.
"Considering your icing job on you're cupcakes, I think I'll be ok, thanks for the offer though." Kate said through a laugh and smiled.

-

an/
hiii, thank you for 19k this is huge!!!!
however i have exams for the next two weeks so i'm not going to have time to write and i'm so so sorry about that. I'll try to fit bits in where i can but i had 1-3 exams a day for the next two weeks.
anyway, i hope you liked this chapter, less jate but more group fun.