18. Reveal and greif

Kate was pretending to be ok. Lily was still in a wreck over Amos, all of the girls were making sure that she was ok and coping. Amos was already cozying up with his new girl at dinners and breakfast. Kate had stopped seeing James everywhere, well she had assumed that he had stopped looking for her, not needing to anymore.
Being lonely wasn't a new thing for her, spending the majority of her free time alone. However there was only so many times Kate could slink to the kitchen and bake, cook and drink tea before the silence became suffocating, consuming her every being.

She'd watch James at mealtimes, he looked happy, happier than before. Smiling and laughing with his friends, that wasn't unusual, but his smile was bigger and wider. It was exhausting pretending to be fine with what was happening. She'd seen James and Lily stare at each other, Kate had suspected that they had been meeting up in secret, developing their friendship. Lily had felt guilty and that she was going behind her back seeing James in secret, so Kate knew that she had to tell Lily that the relationship was fake. For gods sake, she decided it was just easier to tell all of the girls to stop future complications.

It was after dinner that she'd decided to do it as that was when they were all joined in the dorm. They were all sat quietly calming down after dinner.
"It was fake." Kate rushed out.
All four girls looked confused.
"The relationship, with James was fake." Kate slowed down her speech so all of them to hear it.
"What do you mean?" Marlene asked.
"It was a whole plan so that the girls with crazy crushes on him would see that he was taken and back off." Kate explained.
"Really?" Alice looked sceptical.
"Yes." Kate confirmed. "It was all fake, we never actually liked each other." She lied once again.
"So no tough love to him please." Kate gave Marlene a pointed look at that.
"No one was hurt, no one's upset, we're all good?"
"Yes we're all good." Alice and Dorcas said.
"You could have told us." Lily added.
"But someone called Marlene McKinnon has a very big mouth." Kate replied with a laugh. "But I am sorry that I didn't tell you sooner."

They quickly forgave Kate, not being able to stay mad at her for long knowing she was being genuine and really was sorry. Kate knew that before her and James had started dating she had a small crush on him from the persistent flirting; no one talks about someone to that extent unless they feel a small bit. Amos had then swept her away and distracted her from her feelings for James, then now being somewhat friends her feelings would resurface, now holding back on the flirting she'd like him even more.

Kate waited until everyone was asleep to go and make way to the kitchen to do her favourite activities.
Sneaking out and extremely quietly making her way through the corridors. What she didn't expect was for peeves to knock down a statue, blocking her way.
She heard Filches shoes start to tap down the corridor towards the noise.
"Fuck." Kate whispered and tried to get away the way she came but more footsteps were combing the other way.

Suddenly, she was pulled under a piece of fabric and a hand was placed over her mouth.
"Don't speak." The voice of Sirius Black whispered in her ear. She'd understood then, an invisibly cloak. Looking behind her she gave him a thumbs up and he let go of the hand on her mouth.
He started to guide her away from the mess that the poltergeist had created.
"That was close." He'd said once they were far enough away.
"Thank you." Kate said. "So this is how you guys get around not being caught."
"James's it's a family heirloom." He said.
"I've never been caught before and god i had a rush of adrenaline." She told him with a giggle.
"You sneak out often? and here I thought you were a goodie to shoes." He said.
"How would I have all the time to cook and bake all the things I do?" Kate explained.
"Was that where you were going?"
"Yea, do you want to come?" She offered.
"Sure why not." He shrugged.

Sirius was sat on the table in the kitchen watching Kate mix the clumps out of some cake batter.
"James said you stayed here over Christmas, how come?" He asked.
"Bad parents." Kate answered. "Do you want to help ice the cakes when they're ready?" Kate asked.
Kate put a baking charm on the cakes instead of baking them.
"Sure why not." He agreed.
"Now we have to wait for them to cool." Kate explained, flicking the kettle on and making a cup of tea for herself.

They sat in an awkward silence for a while.
"James told us that it wasn't real." Sirius said after not being able to stand the silence.
"Yea, we were pretty convincing right?" Kate asked.
"It was impressive yea." He commented.
"I think Lily finally likes him." Kate smiled.
"Yea, he's happy." His voice was dull.
"I think we should head back up." Kate said, feeling awkward now.

They made their way back up to the tower and went their separate ways to bed.

-

It was now the start of march and cherry blossoms had grown all over the trees, littering their pink petals all around the grounds, hiding in shoes and hair, spreading themselves through the castle with ease.

It was Gryffindors third quidditch game of the season, this one against Ravenclaw. It was the first competitive game of the season therefore the tension was high. However, Kate couldn't bring herself to care, just sat reading a book not paying attention to the game. She had assumed that Gryffindor was winning and she was correct. Their win was announced and Kate looked down to the field.
Her heart teared into two.

Lily ran towards James happily and then she leant up and kissed him. Kate knew that there was a small chance that she might not have fallen for him even how slim she had hoped. But there he was.
Her James.
Looking happier than ever and leaning down to kiss Lily once again.

Kate couldn't take it and left the stadium as quietly as possible. She'd found a tree to sit under and just bawl her eyes out. She'd lost him. Lily had taken the boy she'd liked once again but this time it was fully her own fault. Why did she have to be stupid enough to fall for him.
Lily and James were officially together and there was nothing Kate could do about it now.