26. Cupcakes and sexy pyjamas

Kate had decided it was her best intentions to stay away from the victory party. Not feeling up to dressing up to get drunk and to wake up in the morning to remember nothing from the night before. This was only enhanced by the fact that the day that would be filled with hangovers and headaches, just happened to be the unfortunate day that she had been born.

As she laid in bed attempting to sleep, all she could do was toss and turn as the unbearably loud party was going on in the common room. All houses, years  5 and up, it was most of the Hogwarts student body, jumping, dancing, chatting, shouting, singing. Kate couldn't find it in herself to fall asleep, it felt like the entire tower was vibrating. Kate sighed before deciding she was to run off to the kitchens once again, for the calm solitude away from the crowds.
Now was the plan to get through the group and out of the common room that wasn't the window.

Nerves ran through her as she hurried and pushed through the crowds in her nightdresses and gown. Hoping to be unseen as possible as she shoved through to get out of the party.
Even just the portrait of the fat lady shutting close, even though she too had vacated. It was quieter already.
The path to the kitchen was old and familiar, Kate walked quickly and quietly, avoiding professors, annoying paintings and portraits and peeves as she walked in the pitch black.

Cupcakes.
Kate felt slightly silly baking her own birthday cupcakes in her pyjamas and the new apron she has treated herself to earlier in the year.
Kate took a step back to count the bowls and made sure of the right ingredients when the painting of the fruit bowl swang open once again and the hinges screeched.
"Will you ever leave me alone?" Kate asked as James walked in.
"Never." He answered. "You said you'd reach me how to bake." She rolled her eyes at his dramatics.
"You're currently having a party thrown for you and your big win, you shouldn't be down here with me learning how to bake." Kate argued.
"Please." He begged and she rolled her eyes once again.
"Fine." Kate grabbed her old apron and threw it to his chest. "Put it on, your clothes will get dirty otherwise." Sneeze watched as he struggled to tie it at the back but eventually figured out how to bow in the back.
"Ready."
"Mix the butter and the caster sugar together." Kate instructed and saw him begin to do that successfully.
"Ok done!" He smiled.
"You need to keep whisking it till it's fluffy, like this." She took the bowl from him and started to whisk it properly. "Once done there should be no grains." And passed the bowl back.
She had noted that he wasn't constantly talking for once and was actually listening to a teacher.
"I'll do the dry ingredients. Um. Once you think you're done add in the eggs one at a time." Kate said.
"All good boss."

Kate was debating on what to say, she was immensely confused to say the least, James Potter loved a party. But he was in the Hogwarts kitchens making cakes.
"Why are you here with me and not at your party?" Kate asked awkwardly while whisking together the flour and small pinch of salt.
"Just wasn't feeling it. Would rather be baking." He replied. "But same goes for your, why are you baking and not partying."
"It is my birthday in an hour." She answered and points at the small clock in the corner.
"That's more of a reason to be getting wankered is it not." He replied and tipped the bowl towards Kate. A thumbs up.
"Now add in one egg at a time." Kate reminded. "I don't want to get wankered because I'd rather not be hungover on my birthday."
"Fair." James replied. He looked up from the bowl and caught Kate in a moment of deep concentration, she was counting the drops of vanilla extract to drip into her mix. The blonde hair that always of a crowd was flayed around her face as the tip of her tongue peeked out in focus.
"Now you've got to pour yours into mine." Kate explained and held out the bowl and let James drip his mixture into hers.
"That good?" James asked.
"Yea, I'll mix this one." She then quickly mixed the batches together showing James up. It felt like he hadn't even had the chance to blink before Kate had evened out the mixture into the dips of the cupcake tray, already lined and the oven preheated.