11. Hogsmeade and gifts

It was finally the second hogsmeade trip of the year, only two weeks left until Christmas holidays. The floor was now covered in the freezing but glistening pure white snow. Kate knew she had to dress incredibly warm to endure the day out in the local town. Long sleeve shirt, a jumper of James's that she had stolen, and a coat, a pair of thick jeans and chunky boots. Kate knew that pretending to be together was easier in a group of small people than in-front of a huge crowd in a pub.

Kate was currently running through the corridors frantically, late to meeting James at the gate so they could walk to hogsmeade. Running out of the door and towards James. Kate panted out.
"I'm sorry, I was curling my hair." Kate bent down and put her hands on her knees breathing heavily.
"God, I'm unfit." James chuckled at that.
"Cmon love, we've got a date to go on." He linked arms with her and they began to make their way down to the town.

"So what's the plan, honeydukes, three broomsticks and then back to the castle." Kate asked James admiring the scenery that surrounded the castle. However, the usual blooming trees had turned winding and spindley, curving round the edges of the walkway.
"Yes, have you ever been on a date to hogsmede before?" James inquired as they got closer to the village.
"No. I've never actually been on a real date." Kate answered and she saw his face turn to shock.
"Really?" Kate nodded. "Well I'm going to make this your best date ever." He said and started to run, Kate's hand in his down to what would be one of the best days of their year.

Finally reaching the village, they made their way to the horrifically crowded sweet shop. The small bell rang as James opened the door and led Kate through. There were shelves from floor to ceiling filled with the most succulent looking sweets imaginable. Creamy chunks of nougat, glimmering squares of pink coconut ice, round, honey coloured toffees; hundreds of different flavours of chocolate in nest rows, two large barrels of every flavour beans and fizzing whizzbees, levitating sherbet balls, tall racks of blood and acid pops, the prop Droobles best blowing gum refusing to pop for days, boxed cauldron cakes, splintering, tooth flossing string mints, cold ice mice, fragile sugar spun quills, exploding bonbons and Kate's favourite, peppermint toads.

"Actually James, could we stop in some more shops so I could do some Christmas shopping?" Kate said while hugging into James's side to not lose him in the crowd.
"Yea that's fine, what sweets do you want to get?" James said leaning down.
"I'm going to get, for me, treacle fudge and peppermint toads." Kate said. "For Lily, a pack of chocolate wands. For Marlene, crystallised pineapple. For Dorcas, jelly slugs and for Alice, wizochoc." Kate explained while trying to navigate through the crowd. "You?"
"Ice mice, chocoballs, pepper imps and sugar quills."  He said, pulling Kate back to his chest.
They had finally gotten through the shop and were at the till paying, Kate with significantly less than James.

"Hello Mr Flume." Kate said with a smile. "Looking forward to Christmas?"
"Hello Miss Taylor." He replied while ringing her things up.
"I insist you call me Kate." James watched her smile kindly at him while pulling her purse out.
"Kate, and yes I'm looking forward to Christmas. 7 gallons and 9 sickles please."
Kate got her money out and placed it on the counter, grabbing the red and white striped paper bag.
"I'll wait outside, bye Mr Flume."

James emerged from the shop with his bag filled to the brim.
"So where do you want to go now." He asked and rejoined their arms.
"Could we go to the hair salon across the way?" Kate asked looking up at him.
"Of course." He nodded.

The two spent their day buying Christmas presents for their friends. Kate bought Marlene a sleekeasy hair mousse from the small hair salon, Alice a pair of cat socks from Gladrags, Lily a book that she had been looking for from Tomes and scrolls and Dorcas some fancy quills from Scrivencraft's quill shop. Walking around the shops with James was fun, having idle conversation and asking his opinion of the gifts she was getting. Finally finishing her Christmas shopping, they both decided it was now time to The Three Broomsticks.

Walking into the pub, looking around there was luckily a two person round table.
"Do you prefer butter beer or pumpkin juice?" James asked as they sat down.
"Butter beer."
"I'm going to buy you a drink." He got up just as quickly as he sat down to go up to the bar.

"Madame Rosmerta!" James said happily as he walked up to the bar.
"Potter, where's your usual entourage?" She asked eyeing him suspiciously with a hand on her hip.
"I'm actually on a date." He said proudly. "So two large Butter beers please."
"With Lily?" She gasped excitedly.
"No, with someone else." Her shoulders visibly dropped. "She's great."
"Well she's certainly making you smile so, they're on the house."

Kate saw James coming back to the table.
"You got a big one!" Kate said with a big smile. "How much do I owe you?"
"Nothing. It's on me." James said.
"Are you sure?"
James nodded and slid the drink across the table and Kate took a sip.
"Thank you." Kate said with a blush.

The sweet drink was bubbling and warm, just the right temperature to warm you up in the cold day.
"I'm the luckiest fake girlfriend ever." Kate whispered across the table.
"Are your friends down here or did they stay at the castle." Kate asked.
"Yea, they probably went to Zonkos again." James said. "We might see them in a bit."
"How has your first date ever been?" He continued and leaned back in his chair crossing his arms.

Kate couldn't deny that James was probably one of the most attractive boys in Hogwarts. Actually one of the most attractive she'd ever seen. His messy hair always suited him, his glasses showcasing his sky blue eyes. She could tell from often standing close to him that quidditch had treated his body well, being hard as rock. He was absolutely gorgeous.

Coming back from her daydream, over James's shoulder she saw the three boys walk in. She pointed over James's shoulder. "Your friends are here."
"They don't matter, I'm on a date with you."
"Well I think they're coming over anyway." Kate said watching them walk towards the table.
"Guys come on, I'm busy." James said.
"It's fine. I've had you all day." Kate says to the three boys stood around the table.
"Well Zonkos got some new stuff, we'll show it to you later in our dorm." Remus said, getting the hint and pushing them away from the date.
"They really love you." Kate said. "We should head back up soon, it's going to get dark."
"Yea, I've had a great time." James said and they left the pub.

"God it's cold out here." Kate said as the biting cold air surrounded them, shivering slightly.
She felt James stop and spinning her around,leaving little circles in the snow.
Whipping his scarf around her neck and pulling her in to kiss him. Planting his lips on hers quickly.
"You can have it."
"Thank you." Kate looked down at her feet, warmth spreading through her chest and heat up her neck and on to her cheeks. "It smells nice."

Their walk back was spent in a comfortable silence, breathing in sync, the pure white snow crunching under their shoes.
Just as they reached the castle, the snow started to fall gently again. Coating hair and eyelashes.
"Snow!" Kate gasped happily and looked up to the sky, the snow catching on her eyelashes. "It's my favourite weather, It's beautiful and makes everything shimmer." Kate explained sheepishly.

"Yea, beautiful." James was captured.

Kate then dragged him inside the castle and shook all of the snow out of his hair.
"Cmon, you'll freeze."

The common room was a lot warmer than the castle, Kate could finally feel my feet again.
The common room was empty, most people still in the village.
"Thank you for today. I just hope my first real date goes this well." Kate said stood at the stairwell.
James looked down at Kate and before he'd realised, he was already kissing her once again with no one to see.

-

an/
sorry this one is shorter, as it is only one continuous scene.
and the fanfic will most likely be on the shorter side as i do go back to school soon so i can want to finish it before then.
but have a good day ppl