5. Kisses and rules

James Potter was kissing Kate Taylor.
James Potter was Kissing Kate Taylor.
James potter was KISSING Kate Taylor.

"What the fuck?"

He didn't say anything and just started to drag Kate by her wrist through the corridors, trying to get an explanation out of him.
"I'll tell you once we're there."
Kate recognised where she was being dragged to. Their spot, the kitchens. Kate was extremely confused on what had just happened in the past two minutes. It was probably the most confusing of her life.

They were finally in the kitchen. And were sat down at the table.
"James, no offence but I don't like you like that you know? Kate said giving him an awkward smile.
"Oh me too, but I have an incredibly stupid plan and I want you to listen, you can 100% tell me to fuck off and we'll pretend this never happened." James said.
"Ok?" Kate said, vouching to hear him out.
"We pretend to date."
"What?"
"Me and you, pretend to date." He said.
"What?" Kate said confusion written all over her face.
"So." James started to explain. "If we fake date, Amos will see what he missed out on with you, Lily will get jealous that I'm taken."
"And then Lily will leave Amos, for you, getting Lily away from him as he's a twat." Kate finished. "No way anyone is going to believe it." She said flatly.
"Yea they will, also do you have anything better to do?" He countered.
"Fair enough."

"Should we meet up tomorrow and discuss our rules?" Kate asked. "When we're less drunk?"
"I'm not drunk."
"You're not?"
"Nope." James had a stupid smile on his face.
"Ok, let's do this tomorrow, when I'm less drunk." Kate confirmed and held her hand out.
"Deal." He said and shook her hand.

The two decided to go back up to the party.
"I like your costume by the way. You suit the pirate look."
"Thank you, who are you supposed to be?"
"Velma from mystery inc." Kate said. "We all are different one."
"Ah, cool."

It was a little bit awkward, Kate didn't really know what to talk about with her fake boyfriend.
"What does one talk about with a fake boyfriend?" She asked. "Because surely it's different."
"I think we just talk about stuff that friends talk about." He added. "We'll be spending a lot of time together now, you've got to get used to me." He said cheekily.

Then they were interrupted.
"Students out of bed!" Peeves screeched and started to fly around the corridors alerting the Professors on duty. Footsteps echoed from the hall.
"Shit, it's Mcgonagall."
James grabbed Kate's hand this time, intertwining their fingers and guiding her through the corridors in the dark.
Suddenly she was taken down a passage she'd never seen before.
"Is this a secret passage?"
"Yes it is."

Suddenly they were back near the common room. "Hurry, before peeves alerts someone of our rule breaking." James said, putting air quotes around rule breaking. "But it's not if we don't get caught."
"Do you know, I've never even had a detention." Kate tells James as they get to the entrance of the common room.
"You've never had a detention?" James said with utter shock written across his face.
They had slowed down into a walk now, only a couple meters away from the portrait.
"I just don't get caught." Kate shrugged.
"You'd make a great Slytherin." He commented.
"Wow, really thanks." Kate laughed. "I don't think they'd accept me though. Muggle born."

Once they got back to the common room the party had died down. Mainly only Gryffindors remaining. Some just sitting around, some still on the dance floor.
"I think I'm going to head up to bed, kitchens, after dinner?" Kate asked.
"Yea sure, sleep well."
"And you."

Kate made her way up to the dorms. Passing a girl knocked out on the stairs from drinking way too much. When she got up to the dorms, it seemed as if Lily had made her way back from wherever she went with Amos. Alice, probably spending the night with Frank. Kate had seen Dorcas and Marlene on the way back up. Knowing that her friends were safe, Kate got changed and turned off Lily's lamp and her own then finally got under the covers and shut the curtains around the bed frame.

-

Kate was wondering why in hell did she agree to this? What possessed her brain the night before to say to James potter. 'Yes ok, let's fake date to get Lily to date you and get revenge on Amos.'

It was too late now, she was sat in the kitchens waiting for James to arrive. She could run away. Go back to the common room, hide in her bed and never get out again. Get in the oven?
Kate had no idea how they were supposed to trick the entire student body of Hogwarts that they were in love.

"How long have you been here?"
"Fuck me! You scared me." Kate exclaimed. "I've been here for around ten minutes."
"Cmon then, let's get started." He said.

Kate pulled out a piece of paper and a quill.
"How long is our fake relationship going to last? I think we should go until around Valentine's Day." Kate said. "Because then if the plan works. You can take Lily out for Valentine's.
"I like that. Good idea." James replied.
"What's our story?" Kate asked.
"We got together after the party?" James suggested.
"Yea, that works."

1. Do not tell anyone about the fake relationship.
2. Continue fake relationship until Valentine's Day unless the plan works before then.
3. No dating outside the fake relationship in the time that it's going on.
4. Have fun.
5. Do not, under any circumstances, actually fall in love with each other.

These were the five rules that were gong to be the gospel for the next couple of months. The glue that would hold the plan together as to not let it crumble.

"Now personal boundaries." James said. "Kissing?"
"You're asking me now?" Kate lifted an eyebrow. "But yes, I'm ok with that."
"Just general affection?"
"Yea sure, we've got to make it believable."
"And you've got to come to my quidditch games."
"I'll make sure to be in the stands." Kate smiled. "We've got to go on a date at Hogsmeade, Amos is taking Lily." Kate adds.
"Yea ok, we can go to the three broomsticks."
"Sounds good."

They decided to now finally leave their hideyhole in the kitchen and walk along the corridor leading to the stairs.
"James, how do we get people to know we got together?" Kate asks and James kept walking.
"Don't worry, I've got a plan, just you wait." James winked at Kate and continued walking.
"James, what do you mean?" Kate asked.
James didn't say anything and just kept going.
"James. James. James!" Kate shouted but by then he had already rounded the corner.
"Fucks sake."