25. The realisation

"Where have you been?" Sirius asked James as he came back into the dorm tapping his foot like an impatient mother.
"Just on a walk." He replied shrugging.
"Nice walk?" Remus smirked and looked at him pointedly.
"Great actually." James answered and flipped his friends off, seeing their map splayed across the floor. "Oh shut up." He felt the blush rise up his face.
"We didn't say anything prongs." Sirius teased.
"Yea our lips are sealed." Peter added.

The three boys laughed at James as he got up and slammed the bathroom door and turned the shower on to one of the hottest settings, quickly undressed and felt the hot water crawl down his back then relaxing his muscles. He was tense, usually having showers this hot after an intense quidditch game.

James knew he was worked up. The smell of Kate, the sensational lavender entranced him and flew his brain back to before Christmas. James had tried to shake it from his mind, but that moment with her had fully consumed him. The kissing. Her noises. Whenever that lavender smell wafted past his nose she was all he could think about. All he could breathe for.

James had become immersed in his thoughts. When he finally came out of the world he had built in his mind, he looked down.
"Fucks sake."

-

"Hey, where were you?" Alice asked when Kate got back.
"Just in the kitchen, where I usually am." Kate looked at her confused.
"Alone?" Dorcas raised her eyebrows.
"I saw James at some point, but apart from that alone." Kate replied.
"I haven't seen you wear that necklace in a while." Lily said as Kate began to de robe.
"Yea, I must have misplaced it. James gave it back to me earlier."
"You didn't say you talked to James." Marlene butted in.

Kate turned around to see all of her friends,
pretty much hanging off the edge of their beds waiting for her to tell them.
"What?" She asked.
"Nothing." The four of them all answered and leant back on their beds, resuming their previous positions.
"I'm, going to get into bed." Kate said slowly. "And sleep. She walked backwards to her bed, holding the awkward eye contact with her friends.

She closed the curtains around the bed, confining her to the soft haven. Even though the girls had been closer to Kate the last couple months, it was still freaky to have them care intensely about her whereabouts and her life. Especially James.
They were history at that.
Old history.
Ancient.
She could figure out why they were so hung on old news.

Kate drifted off to sleep thinking of the boy with the messy hair and round glasses. He then had decided to not just plague her every thought and feeling but her dreams too.
He was her entire being.

-

The groups final exams had finished and the group was only a couple weeks away from graduating. Most of the seven year students spending their time in the past months sprawled out over textbooks, crowding the library and cramming their brains with as much information as possible.
On this Saturday they had been excused, the entire Hogwarts population flooded the quidditch pitch for the finals.
Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff.

Both were incredibly strong teams and had a decent chance at winning the cup. However within the first 30 minutes Hufflepuff had fumbled. Amos had dropped the quaffle, giving Gryffindor the lead. They were now 60 points ahead.
If Kate was being honest, she didn't watch the game, she just listened for the announcements from Frank Longbottom. Much more entertaining.

Summer now in full swing, it was hot. Everyone could see the sweat dripping off the players, putting in the work to win the cup.
Marlene had grazed the snitch with her fingers a few times, outperforming the other seeker.
Gryffindor were now 80 points head. There was 30 minutes left for them under the beating sun and Hufflepuffs play had been poor.
Hubris was their downfall.

With 3 minutes left on the clock, the game had finally ended.
Marlene had caught the snitch, gaining another 150 points and winning Gryffindor the cup.
It seemed that the entirety of Gryffindor had thundered down to the field and congratulated the entire team. She was about to say something to James when she saw him pop up from atop the crowd holding the cup high up in the air and cheers of glory rattled the stands.

The quidditch uniform clung to him. He looked like he was carved by the gods. Abs for days, the biceps she'd love to have wrapped around her once more. The sweat dripped down his face and neck. He was just fit. The fittest of fit.

Their eyes locked as the openly ogled him, licking her bottom lip and her hands drifted up to the lavender around her neck and gave him a small smile before turning and leaving the mayhem.

-

"The party tonight is going to be fucking mental!" Sirius shouted up from under James's legs.
"Yea man." He wasn't really listening, his eyes following the blonde who was leaving the pitch and walking up to the hill towards the castle.

It was then when he saw her walk away, he realised he never wanted to see her walk away again.
It had finally dawned on him.
"Fuck! Shit. FUCK. Sirius let me down." James said. 
"What is it?" Sirius looked concerned that the panicked look on his brothers face. The crowd began to scream again when Marlene was planted on top holding the cup and giving it a big kiss.
"I like Kate." James said breathlessly.
"I know mate, you're friends." He answered.
"No, I like Kate." James repeated with his eyes wide.
"Oh yea, we all knew."
"And you didn't tell me?!" He looked a mix between angry and confused. Siris didn't get a chance to answer as James had already taken off after Kate.

By the time he was a couple feet away and gained the girls attention, he realised he hadn't planned something to say.
"James? You ok." She asked him.
"Yea, just wondering if you're coming to the party, starts at 10." He rushed out and immediately cringed.
"I'll see." Kate answered and walked further up the grassy hill. "I'm going to go inside, It's really hot in the sun." He noted that she had a dimple when she smiled.
"And you need a shower." Crumpling her nose at him jokingly and continuing to walk backwards.
"Hey! I don't smell that bad."
He just saw her hair bouncing and the soft song of her laugh as she walked away once more.
"See you later!" He shouted after her and when he didn't receive an answer he collapsed onto the grass hill, being blanketed by the surprisingly cool grass.

-

an/ a treat!! two in two days!!!
<3
i love you guys