23. The breakup (reprise)

Part one

James was confused by the look on Lily's face when she'd asked to talk to him. She looked sad but as of she had a layer of happiness was was worn underneath. Lily had taken him to a secluded corridor away from the highly trafficked common room and main corridors. They could hear peoples footsteps walk past the hallway and James looked at her confused.

"James, you know, being with you has been great fun really." Lily started. She saw him smile.
"Good." He said enthusiastically.
"Let me finish." She continued. "It's been great but I don't think it's what either of us expected or want." Lily sighed, a weight lifted off her shoulders as the lie she'd been telling herself seemed to float up and away. James sighed.
"I was feeling that too." His eyes flitted away from hers. "I think eleven year old me made a lot of it up in my head." James's face turned a light shade of pink. "Not that I didn't have a great time or-or-or you're not a good girlfriend or anything." He then rushed out, eyes wide.
"James, it's ok." Lily laughed. "Friends?" She asked with a smile.
"Friends." James agreed and beamed back at her. "Thank you, for this." He said. "I didn't know how to vocalise that, we, didn't feel right. you know?"
"Yea, something was missing and it didn't feel right." Lily agreed.

The two of them went their separate ways then, travelling opposite ways down the quiet corridor, Lily wandered off towards the grounds. James back off towards the dormitories to tell his friends the news of his breakup.

"Me and Lily broke up." James said and flopped down onto his bed.
"And you're not crying your eyes out and threatening to jump off the astronomy tower." Peter sat up and looked at the other two boys in confusion.
"Nope."
"But she's Lily." Peter started. "Love of your life."
"Girl of your dreams."
"The keeper of your heart."
"Your one and only."
"Your Lily flower."

His previous words echoed around the room, making fun of him.
"But seriously. Are you alright Prongs?" Remus asked and furrowed his brows.
"Yea, Lily just wasn't what I'm looking for you know, eleven year old me had big hopes and dreams."
"Soo what are you looking for." Sirius asked with a smile.
"Not a relationship." James simply stated and the three boys looked at each other, now realising that the first step of their plan was going to be much harder to execute than their first thought.

-

Lily had caught up to Kate in the corridor after she'd seen her walking alone.
"I broke up with James." She panted and watched Kate's face contort in to complete and utter shock.
"What."
"I broke up with James." She said more slowly this time. "We both weren't satisfied with our experience and chemistry so we broke up."
"Oh." Kate's mind was racing. Months, months of work just to be thrown away because they couldn't be bothered to try. Part of her deep down was ecstatic, jumping for joy, now know h she was t going to have to see the boy she was in love with hang off another girl, her friend, everyday. But all of her hard work had gone to waste.
She was going to kill that stupid twat face.

Later that day, the blonde had made her way down to the kitchen for two reasons. She needed a cup of tea to calm down after the horrific news she had revived that morning from Lily. The other, she knew that somehow James would find out where she was and would eventually come to join her for a cup of tea and she needed to shout at him.

She'd only needed to wait five minutes before he came trotting happily through the portrait.
"I spent MONTHS pretending to be your girlfriend, being called every single name in the book, being shouted at in the corridor. For you to break up because it didn't feel right?!" Kate shouted at him.
"Oh yea. I'm sorry." James said as he sat down opposite her.
"It's ok. I just needed to shout at you, I forgive you now." Kate smiled at him.
"So how have you been?" He asked and smiled back, showing his teeth.

-

"Guys! Come look at the map." Sirius said after drifting his eyes over the map to see where James had wandered off to.
The other boys had gathered around the map to see what Sirius was pointing at.
James and Kate sat near each other in the kitchens. They'd changed their mind, it might be easier to pull this off than they'd initially thought.

-
an/ this is a horrifically short chapter but i'm going to put it out before i decide i hate it and re write it all and that over and over.
Trying to get back into the swing of writing the was harder than i thought after going back to school >:(
so i think shorter chapters mean i will be able to update more frequently.
Sorry xx