1. Break ups and dinner

"I'm breaking up with you."
Those five words make Kate's world shatter.
"Oh." Was the only thing that Kate could muster up the courage to say. Looking at the floor meekly, afraid to look up to meet Amos's eyes in fear of crying.
"I'm seeing your friend Lily, Lily Evans." Amos said, Kate nodded and quickly turned away her blonde hair fanning around her as she weaved through the dense crowd on the platform. She didn't blame Lily of course, it was a secret relationship, Lily wouldn't have if she would have known.

Stepping onto the Hogwarts Express, Kate started searching for her group of friends, however it seems she was the first of the five to board the train. Finding an empty compartment, Kate shoves her trunk into the overhead storage with difficulty and sitting down with a huff.

Having a couple minutes to herself, Kate realises now comfort from her friends is impossible, Lily would feel guilty and break it off with Amos. She had had problems with finding a boy that wasn't put off by the infamous James Potter's romantic advances. Kate personally didn't think he was a 'toe rag' and thought that it was actually quite sweet that he was so interested in her and only her, gave her a cute nickname and basically worshipped the ground she walked on.

The door slid open and in walked Lily and Marlene, then followed by Alice and Dorcas. Kate quickly jumped up and hugged her friends that she hadn't seen all summer.
"Hi guys!" Kate hugs each of them one by one and sits down back in her seat next to the glass sliding door.
"How was your summer?" Alice asks.
"Good, I went swimming in the lake near my house, and went to some nice markets, what about you guys?" Kate asks. Conversation erupts between the girls as they share incredibly interesting things that they did over the summer.

Marlene went to Italy and spent her summer roaming through beautiful seaside towns.
Alice spent the summer with her boyfriend Frank, going on cute dates and getting it on.
Dorcas travelled around the uk with her family visiting all of the landmarks.
Lily, Lily shared how she had spent the summer with her Mum and Dad, but then Amos came up, they had gone on a date towards the end of the summer, he had taken her out to a cafe and treated her to lunch.

Kate's good mood had evaporated and felt as if she could cry again. A heavily fake smile painted her face as she tried to not listen to the details of the date. Not only had Amos started seeing her friend, but he had when they were still together. Did he even think they were in a relationship?
Starting absent mindedly out the foggy glass door, Kate had never been happier to see the frame of James Potter walking towards the door. Normally, Kate would warn Lily of what was about to come her way but she didn't this time, hoping to get Lily to stop talking about Amos.

Finally the brunette boy had reached the door and smoothly pushed it open. He leant against the doorframe and smirked.
"Hello ladies, hello Lily." He greeted
"What do you want James?" Lily rolls her eyes already fed up with James.
"Is it so wrong to want to know what my Lily flower did this summer." He enters the compartment and Sirius Black takes his place at the door frame, Kate shoots him a quick smile. James slumbered down in between Kate and Alice, therefore being opposite Lily. He placed his face in his hands and rested his elbows on his knees.

"Well if you'd really like to know, I went on a date with Amos." Lily boasted, purposely getting under his skin.
"Amos Diggory?" James asked.
"Yep."
"But he's a massive asshole-" Sirius butts in.
"He is not." Lily defends. "If you could leave now, it would be appreciated." She turns her head toward the window.
"Cmon mate." Siris encouraged. James reluctantly got up, and trailed after Sirius, shutting the door in defeat.

Kate agreed with Sirius, Amos was a massive asshole, but Kate had never seen Lily glow as she was when she talked about him. Maybe he had changed for the better for her? But he was still a massive asshole.

"Why does he always have to flirt with me?" Lily complained exasperated by him.
"He's in love with you lil." Dorcas raised the pitch of her voice and wiggles her eyebrows.
"Oh fuck off Dor!"
"Ohhh Lily."
"Oh my Lily flower!"
"I love you Lily!"
Echos of teasing bounce around the compartment as Lily's cheeks brightened and the group erupted in giggles.

"We're not to far from school now, we should probably change." Alice suggests.
The girls made their way to the changing rooms on the train.
Kate started to replace her normal clothes with her school uniform, buttoning up the white school shirt, pulling on the plain black pleated skirt with her sheer tights and school shoes. Finally topping it off with her red crested robe and tie.
Assuming she was the first one out, Kate started walking back towards their compartment.

Suddenly Kate's head collided with something hard.
"Ow fuck!" She exclaimed and brought her hand to her head and looked up to see what she had collided with. James potter. Specifically James potters chest.
"Oh sorry...."
"Kate."
"Sorry Kate." He said while running the back of his neck."Do you know where i could find Lily?"
"She's either still getting changed into her uniform, or is already back at the compartment, but I don't think you'll have much luck." Kate said and manoeuvred around him to get back to her friends.

Opening the door to the compartment Kate sat down contently as she waited for the girls to get back.
Eventually they all were gathered in their compartment once again, and the rest of the train ride to Hogwarts was filled with laughter and joy.

The sun was setting as they got off the train. The Scottish sky painted with swirls of orange, pink and purple. Adding to the magical atmosphere of the castle. Kate still couldn't believe she went to school in a fucking castle. The stone walls, huge towers and annoying moving staircases made the experience phenomenal.

-

The carriages was an experience, seeing the thestrals was strange. Kate hadn't witnessed a major death, it was her gran, she was 7. Grandma was ill, it happens. She didn't understand at the time of course why her gran wouldn't wake up.

Hoards of students filed into the great hall, the emulation of the sky that had now turned dark and filled with sparkling stars. The sorting was by far the most tedious thing of the year. Around 100 first years being placed in their houses took forever, the feast after makes it worth the wait. Even though it could use some more spices, but the food was cooked by elves, what could you expect. Gryffindor had gained 17 new students this year.

An hour and a half later, the sorting was finally over. Dumbledore waved his hands and mountains of food appeared on the table. Plating up a cheese pasta dish, please and some bread with butter and quickly eating it. The longing for the slumber of the comfy four poster bed had started to kick in, opting for her favourite, a blueberry muffin and a cup of lavender tea to end her night. Even though it wasn't as good as her own, it was still enjoyable.

Slugging up to the dorms, everyone can't wait to get through the stupid portrait hood and get into bed.
"I'm so tired." Alice stated.
"Aren't we all." Added Dorcas.
Finally after the hours long train ride, the dragging of the sorting ceremony, Kate having her back finally hit the plush mattress with the soft burgundy bed sheets and the soft curtains surrounding it.
Quickly changing into her pyjamas, a velvet shirt and shorts, then falling into a deep, comfy slumber.