-84-

Not edited. I cried.

"I'm nervous Lucas. What if.."

Tara walked hand in hand with Lucas as they walked towards the door of the main house. Her nervousness came from the knowledge that she was about to meet his parents for the first time.

Lucas stopped and turned her towards him and cupped her face in his palms.

"Baby, they'll love you. No question about that at all."

"But..."

"Shhhhh" he bent his head and softly kissed her mouth "you have nothing to worry about baby. You're fûcking adorable. Everyone loves you" he paused "I love you" his words said with conviction "and that's all you need to worry about ok?"

"But Lucas.." she whined as her hands raised to hold his waist.

Lucas chuckled and pulled her in towards him. "You my sweet baby are worrying too much for nothing. Trust me baby. I'll be right there with you and if things get too much we can leave ok?"

She nodded into his chest.

"You didn't have to give me this hickey you know. God! What're they going to say? I couldn't cover it properly."

"Thank god" Lucas grinned. "I'm quite proud of that hickey. The first one..."

"FIRST?" her voice was raised as she lifted her head in surprise to look up at him "The only!"

He grinned down at her with mischief filled eyes "We'll see baby. Now are you ready to meet my parents?"

"No" she said firmly with a shake of her head.

"Come on" he stepped away and held her hand to start pulling her towards the door again "you'll be fine. Just remember that Mum has some... strange... moments because of the dementia but other than that she's fine. Dad.. yeh well he's Dad."

"That's what I'm worried about!" she whined once more.

Lucas shook his head in amusement. "Baby take some breaths. Maxon's in here as well and some of the other guys you know. You'll be fine."

"You sound like a recording" she accused as Lucas stepped aside to let her through the door before him "you'll be fine... well maybe but it sounds like a line from a tv infomercial!"

"Julia! Oh my sweet daughter I've missed you!"

Taras footsteps stopped suddenly as an older woman came rushing across the room and engulfed her in a warm and loving hug.

"Oh Julia. I was afraid we'd miss you sweetie. How was your day at school? How are your studies?" She stepped away to look down at a completely bemused Tara who had tears in her eyes.

"They're fine... Mum."

"Oh sweetie that's wonderful. Come and tell me all about them." She led Tara towards the lounge that she'd just vacated and pulled Tara down to sit next to her.

"Lucas... get your sister and I a drink please honey. Julia's come a long way and I'm sure..."

"No... it's ok..." Tara started with a choking voice.

"Nonsense sweetie. We've all missed you terribly while you've been away. Lucas?"

Lucas cleared his throat and wiped the tears away that streamed down his face.

"Sure Mum. I'll get them now."

Maxon and Marcus both stood rigid with similar emotions as the others in the room. They were heartbroken. Pure exhaustion from the flight along with the crazy mixed up signals in Christine's brain had Tara playing the part of Julia in her mind.

"Marcus! Come and give our girl a hug. Can you believe how much she's grown since we've been away?" She looked lovingly to Tara "And so beautiful! We'll have to watch the boys around her."

Marcus slowly made his way across the room and bent down and hugged a very emotional and stiff Tara.

"Thank you sweetheart" he whispered before standing up and choking back a sob.

"Oh I just remembered! I have a present for you and your brothers sweetie. I'll be right back."

She got up quickly and rushed from the room. Tara sat frozen with tears and sobs her only companion.

"Little sister" Maxon choked out and she turned to him suddenly with wide and mournful eyes as his arms went open.

She ran to him. As brother and sister they wept along with the others in the room. Snuffling and choking gasps were all that sounded in the room.

"Oh Maxon! It's so good to see you getting along with your sister and not picking on her."

Maxon snuffled back a sob and chuckled "But Mum she's so easy to pick on!"

"Ooh you always say that my boy. Just you wait till she gets older. You'll know how precious she is then." Christine nodded at her own words of wisdom as she carried her bag of goodies across to the lounge.

"Oh Mum. I know. I promise. I know how precious this little sister of mine is." He squeezed Tara back into him again as Lucas walked back into the room.

"Well that's wonderful sweetheart. Now. Goodies. Come here Julia and see what I have for you."

It was obvious that while in the kitchen he'd allowed himself the chance to cry openly and unhindered by being in the same room. His heart broke to see the pain on Tara's face as she pulled back from Maxon and wiped her face and turned to his mother with a smile.

"Sure Mum."

He watched the woman who stole his heart become the sister he missed so dearly and his heart swelled with more love and admiration than he ever knew possible. She was perfect in every way. Kind, loving, caring and above all else... his beautiful wife.

While the other side of all this sadness meant they all had decisions they needed to discuss it was obvious that without any spoken words they'd all decided that his mother's happiness was above their own... and he... they... would never be able to thank Tara enough for being so perfect.