-77-

Not edited. I don't want this story to end :( but the finish line isn't that far away.

Nappy - diaper

Biscuit - cookie

Jones walked through the door and found himself immediately swamped. The grin on his face was reflective of the love he felt when he looked at the baby he held. Brenton. His cousins child.

"OOOOOH a baby!" Keiran raced across the room and started pulling faces at the little guy and squealed as Brenton reached out for him and was instantly swept away to be the centre of attention at the table.

Adam followed Jones through the door and placed the nappy bag on the counter.

"I swear you got the easy part of this arrangement Jones."

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, thanks to that hand of yours being bandaged up it makes it near impossible for you to change the kid. Plenty of volunteers here."

Jones grinned.

"I got a good deal here don't I?"

Adam chuckled and looked to the table where Keiran, Tara and Jace were all making the baby squeal.

"Wonder if they'll be so helpful changing a dirty nappy?"

Keiran turned quickly to the side and frowned at Adam.

"Excuse me? I'll have you know I've changed lots of nappies in my time."

The others in the room all laughed while Keiran turned back to the baby again feigning indignancy.

"I think you've been put in your place" Jones said to Adam with a smirking grin.

"Could be right. I've got some stuff to do. Just give me a yell when you need a lift back."

"Thanks man. I don't know how long Donna will be but you'll be the first to know."

"No worries. Hey kids" he taunted the teens "play nice with the baby now. Remember to share your toys."

He quickly grabbed the flying biscuit that was thrown at him and shoved the whole thing in his mouth before giving a muffled laugh and walking out the door.

Jones shook his head and went to sit at the table. Keiran tried to shoo him away as Brenton got excited and held his hands out.

Sitting next to Tara with the Brenton Jones explained that his mum had an appointment. A squirning child wasn't easy to hold with one hand and Tara quickly took the opportunity to hold Brenton. The little boy looked up at her in awe and held the material of her shirt in two tiny little fists. He jumped as Keiran's phone started to ring and the shock had him starting to cry.

Awwwing faces watched him as Tara cuddled him close. She rubbed her hand over his back in small circles and spoke low whispers in his ear. Keiran ran from the room with the offending phone and Jace following.

"You're good at that" Jones nodded towards Brenton with a smile.

"Babies are easier to talk to that adults" Tara replied with a grin.

"Sure as heck can't argue with that."

Lucas walked into the kitchen. He watched as Tara gently calmed the baby down and felt his insides grip tightly around his heart.

Would they ever have that?

Seeing her with the baby was a complete kick in the guts as memories of their first days of marriage slapped him in the face. The words he said... what he did... he did it all to become a father and God help him but he wanted that feeling.