-59-

Not edited.

Lucas felt like he was literally dragging his feet into the kitchen. After an adrenalin filled night he'd come down with a crashing thud and still felt like he needed more sleep.

"Shít boss you look like crap." Adam was at the table finishing his breakfast. He already knew about the messages, Simeon had sent out information to them all and man power around the house had tripled within hours.

"Fúck off" Lucas growled while reaching for the coffee pot left brewing to the side of the sink.

"We'll get her boss." Adam spoke firmly.

"I want her dead" Lucas' voice a reflection of Adam's.

"Have you told your father?"

"He had his chance to deal with her and didn't. Now it's my turn and I don't give a fûck how much she hurts."

Adam nodded knowingly.

"No one hurts our boss lady."

Lucas looked at him and gave him a small weary smile as he nodded his thanks.

"Heard your brothers are coming. Be good to see them again."

"Yeh" Lucas sipped on his coffee while leaning back on a cupboard.

"Boss, shit... why don't you grab some more sleep? We've got things covered here and Tara won't be up for a couple more hours."

Lucas looked at the clock in surprise. Five thirty nine. No wonder he felt like shít. He put the coffee cup in the sink and moved towards the kitchen door.

"Call me if anything happens."

"Will do boss."

He need to check on Tara before he settled down again. Needed to see that she was safe.

Fúcking gorgeous.

He stood beside her bed again and was staggered at how freaking perfect she was. Her small breaths were his reassurance and he found himself weakening to the point of sheer exhaustion.

He swayed, fighing to keep his eyes opened he gave in to something he swore he'd never do without her permission. He sat on the empty side of her bed. He wouldn't freak her out by getting under the covers with her, nor would he take off any clothing apart from his shoes.

His shoes were off with some considerable effort that almost had him sprawled out over the floor before he regained his balance. He yawned harder than he had in a long time.

He moved his body slowly and lay down on her bed, the pillow feeling like heaven underneath his head. If he'd been more awake then the scents of her would do some incredible things to his body but at that moment they were like a sleeping pill lulling him to sleep.

His eyes drooped slowly down but with one final effort to be awake he reached out and took her hand in his. A weary smile with eyes now closed the only indication of his now peaceful mind as he felt her warmth on his palm. Finally he slept.

Keiran poked his head around her door to see of she was awake. His surprise evident with a small exclamation that had Tara raising her finger to her mouth to shoosh him. He nodded and left. He'd find out soon enough why Lucas was in her bed and if Tara was OK with it then he'd leave well enough alone.

Tara had woken up with a heavy weight across her waist amd immediately started to panic.

What? Who?

It was the soothing though sleepy voice of Lucas that calmed her down.

"Shhhh, sleep baby. Just a little more."

Her shock held her rigid until he pulled her further towards him.

"So tired baby."

That was when she noticed the long sleeve of his white cotton shirt, a signature piece of clothing for him, and the fact that he was above the covers.

Her fears were set aside completely when she turned slightly and looked at his face. The dark circles that adorned his face showed a definite lack of sleep and his usual colouring was replaced by a pale and almost grey skin.

He must have been awake most of the night.

Being this close to him was in its own way comforting and her worries about Ellie pushed aside. She felt safe with him beside her.

She knew that she's never forget the way she'd met Lucas or the way he'd... she simply knew that after finding out about Maria and everything she did that Lucas was very much broken. Just like her.

This was nice. Being held by him was nice. Though his occassional snore made her want to giggle she held it back so she didn't disturb him again.

She had no idea how long he held her as she watched him sleep. His body blocked the clock she had on the bedside table next to him.

"You know staring isn't nice" his sleepy voice held the hint of a smile.

"Oh... um.."

He smirked without opening his eyes and pulled her even closer to him and sighed as he dropped a small kiss to the top of her head.

"Mmmmm this is nice."

"Yeh" she whispered with her cheek held against his chest.

"You don't mind me being here?" he sounded surprised.

"It was a shock, but it's ok."

He lay quietly as her words swirled around in his mind. Just what did she mean exactly? He fought with himself while deciding whether or not to say what he was thinking... and hoping for.

She can only say no.

"I could get used to this."

He felt her tense up and immediately swore at himself for being so stupid.

"When you're ready baby... just sleep... and waking up next to you."

She was silent. Yes she liked waking up with him but was she ready to make it an every day thing?

"Maybe" she said quietly "I just..."

His hand reached under her chin and tilted her head so she was looking at him.

"When you're ready baby. I won't pressure you." 

He kissed the tip of her nose before tucking her head into him again. He hoped the wait wouldn't be too long. He didn't need séx... OK maybe he did but that wasn't why he wanted to sleep in the same bed. That was far less important right at that moment. Just loving her and holding her were enough for him.