-33-

Not edited. Thank you for reading pricelings and for all your beautiful support. xxxx

Lucas stood on the shadows of the large jacarandah tree. He wasn't sure what time they arrived but he knew one thing for certain, there was no way he'd miss out on seeing Tara another day.

He waited patiently as cars started to arrive and swore at himself for not checking what car they'd be arriving in. So now he stood like a creepy fool watching over school children. Thank fuck his mother wasn't here to see him!

He'd spent the night thinking about her as he had every night since her disappearance. This time though he was able to smile as he thought of her instead of being a complete love struck idiot and crying at the memories he had of her. Surely that should have been enough proof to him that he loved her? But no, he was a stupid dickhead who passes off his feelings as only wanting to support her until they got divorced.

As he stood there watching out for Keiran he had to wonder what the kid wanted to do with his life. He had incredible potential and Lucas made a vow to ensure that what Keiran wanted he would make certain that it happened... and Jace as well. Although he didn't know Jace in any real way it was the fact that like Keiran he'd stood by Tara when she needed her friends. Both the teens were going to have what they wanted handed to them on a silver platter.It was the least he could do for them both.

He stood there waiting until finally he saw Keiran getting out of Jace's car. He started to panic for a moment as it was just them standing outside it.

Where was Tara?

He jostled from one foot to the other while stretching up to see over the tops of heads to see what the pair did next.

Fuck it! Get ot of the way you littl...

Tara.

He felt the air stop in the cavity of his chest. He finally saw her. She was there... so close. His Tara. He could finally see her and she looked... she looked... like a boy.

He smiled to himself knowing that what he was going to do was certain to cause some panic but it was a way he could make his presence felt.

"KEIRAN!"

Three sets of eyes looked at him as he made his way through the cars and people in the carpark. He forced himself to keep his eyes on Keiran but could easily see that Tara had dropped her head down to hide her face.

Keiran quickly turned to Tara and Jace saying something. Jace and Tara started to walk off towards the school as Keiran walked towards him.

"What are you doing here Lucas?"

"Please, when you see Tara give her this and tell her I'm sorry."

Keiran looked down at Lucas' hand and being held out to him was a perfect single pink rose.

"I'm not telling her anything Lucas. If she ever decides to speak to you then you can tell her yourself."

"Fair enough. Could you please just give her this?" He held the rose out further.

Keiran slowly moved to take it from him as gasps were heard and comments of 'cheating on Jace' were whispered. Lucas cringed slightly. This wasn't part of the plan at all, he never even considered how this would appear to others... too late now.

"Why Lucas?"

"Why what Keiran?"

"I thought everything was said down at the wharf?"

"Not quite everything. You asked me a question I didn't answer properly."

Keiran looked at him in surprise.

"What should your answer have been?"

"Yes Keiran. I love Tara with every part of me."

Keiran started to grin.

"You know you're going to have to prove that to her."

"Any advice?"

"Don't fuck it up!"

Lucas rolled his eyes as Keirans face hardened.

"I mean it Lucas. I'll talk to her when the time's right but if you fuck her around again then I'll make sure your balls are hanging from the nearest tree."

Lucas involuntarily shuffled his feet.

"I still don't fucking believe you're only seventeen! You have more guts than men who've worked for me for years."

"Well if I ever need a job then I know who to come to " Keiran laughed a quiet though humourous laugh.

"Doors always open."

"I gotta go. See ya round."

"More than you think."

"Only way to prove it."

Lucas stood for a moment as he watched Keiran walk into the school before turning away. He walked back out of the carpark to the car he'd left on the street.

He was tempted, very tempted to look back and see just what Keiran did with the flower but forced himself to continue walking. It was only day one after all.

Keiran walked to Jace and Tara and held out the rose. Tara's hand was shaking as she reached out to take it. Keiran put his arm around Jace's waist and watched as Tara raised the rose to deeply inhale the sublte fragrance that she'd missed for so long. She was reminded of the roses that always adorned her room at the beach house. She felt confused and looked at Keiran with an unspoken question of 'Why?'

"He loves you."