37. A Threat

Another roar ripped through the palace and shook the dust off the tomb's walls. Oliver felt his stomach drop.

"Where is he?" He asked darkly.

"The sanctum." Draco's mother said. She swayed for a moment in despair, and Oliver caught her in his arms.

She also knew what the roar meant. Draco was undergoing a shift, but there hadn't been a successful shift in a millennium. Draco's chances were dismally low.

Oliver picked up Draco's mother, making her yelp. "Tell me where to go."

She swallowed her pride and pointed to a different staircase, indicating the direction he needed to go. With her in his arms, he took off with incredible tenacity. He raced through the foreign halls and pathways, dodging the alarmed guards who saw him holding the Queen Mother.

When they converged on them, she yelled for them to stand down, and Oliver effortlessly leaped over their line of defense and continued to run forward.

The guards did not fight him but followed them with swords drawn. He watched them in his peripheral to ensure they would not attack and continued onward.

"Down those stairs." Draco's mother said and pointed to a staircase that was practically hidden away.

He ran down without stopping, and she tugged on his sleeve. "There are several doors that are locked. The guards have the keys."

"No time." He gritted his teeth and forced the magic to flow through his body. Frost covered the floors and the walls within an instant, and an ice spear formed from his hand and shot toward the door.

The wood splintered and broke as Oliver ran through, making the guards cry out.

"Magic?" Draco's mother shivered, and her eyes were wide.

Oliver concentrated on the next door, and like the same, the door broke apart. An army of footsteps was behind him, and he could hear the many guards exclaiming about his powers.

However, at the next door, Oliver's feet stopped suddenly, and he slid across the smooth stone. A spear was aimed at his head, and he ducked quickly beneath it.

"Unhand the Queen Mother!" A man decked in armor braced himself in front of Oliver with his spear out.

Oliver ignored him and looked at the massive doors behind the man.

"Elder Minos, stand down." Draco's mother said quietly and tapped Oliver's shoulder. "He is inside."

Another roar rumbled through the air, making weaker men fall to their knees. Oliver was still holding on to Draco's mother, so she was unaffected by the pressure.

However, a sob racked her body, and she buried her face in his shoulder. "Gods, we may be too late."

"Let me in," Oliver said to Minos.

"Lord Kardos..." she called out, but her tone softened when he didn't respond. "Oliver... If you go in there and he shifts, you will die."

Oliver didn't respond and continued to glower at the guard. He set Draco's mother down on the ground and took another step forward.

She grabbed his sleeve, pausing his steps. "If he doesn't make it, at least you will still live. He would be happy with that."

Oliver shook his head. "He said it will be easier if a lover is with a Lyrell during the transition."

"This is just a legend... a myth..." She said quietly.

"Wishes... magic... prophecies.... those are myths, but we are still living them today."