25. A Dream

Oliver stumbled a little and caught himself on the wall. He had inadvertently swallowed some of the poison. It wouldn't kill him; instead, he would be a little muddled and uncomfortable.

He ignored his weakened state, grabbed some dry firewood, and started the fireplace in the sitting room. Warmth blanketed the small cabin, and he was finally able to relax. 

Weeks of hunting had finally paid off. Not only did they find a Ravager hideout, but he was also able to help the little Rucrean girl. This solidified his conviction in the path he was taking. His actions had merit, and he could change things.

He rubbed the back of his neck, but as his waist stretched, he felt a sharp pain on his side. He pulled off his shirt and found a wound where a blade must have nicked him. It wasn't too deep, so he placed a crude bandage on it and sat down on the ground with his back resting against the wall.

He pulled a blanket over his legs and let his weariness and the poison force him into a troublesome slumber. His dreams led him to the prison tower where he was awaiting his death.

He must have made some noises in his sleep because he suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder urging him to wake up. He instinctively tried to pull away, but his body was too weak for abrupt movement. Instead, he opened his eyes and found himself staring at a pair of warm red eyes.

Everything else had faded away when he looked into those familiar Rucrean eyes. A sorrowful smile pulled at his lips, and he leaned into the figure next to him, soaking in his warmth. The man with red eyes hesitated but then wrapped his arms around Oliver's body and held him tightly.

Oliver released a melancholy sigh. Only a dream could gift him with these red eyes and embrace.

"Have you come to say goodbye to this old ghost again?" He asked with a raspy voice. 

The Rucrean didn't answer but held him patiently as if realizing that Oliver was disoriented and struggling with his emotions.

Still in a half-dream state, Oliver felt a wave of frustration as he recalled everything he had endured in Piers' prison. He hated that he let Piers and Ewen play him.  He should have turned his back on Piers long ago and regretted that he didn't join Draco and the others when they offered. 

He was ashamed that he resigned himself to a miserable fate. A Noble Sacrifice. What a joke.

He shivered under his self-admonishments, and the man held him closer. As if to comfort Oliver, he ran his fingers through Oliver's hair, drawing out a hum. Oliver looked back up at the red eyes that were watching him with curious affection.

Oliver's eyes were distant, lost between reality and dreams.

"Tonight they will take my tongue... tomorrow they will take my life." He said softly, repeating his words from the tower. He then let out a self-deprecating laugh, sounding slightly unhinged. "I'm discontent with this death."

Oliver felt the Rucrean lean in closer to him, and his lips brushed Oliver's ear. "Then shall you leave with me?"

His voice made heat rush through Oliver's body, and his skin prickled as if electrocuted. It was deep and husky, so magnetic that it vibrated through Oliver. He wanted to absorb every word, swallow them whole, and let them sink inside his marrow. It aroused a familiar wantonness. 

Let them run away together; just him and his Rucrean. If he ran with Draco, then he could silence the screams of his dying men. He could dissipate the stench of war. He could escape the nightmares that haunted him every time he closed his eyes.

He was about to voice his agreement, but his muddliness cleared with a jolt. He thought Draco was holding him... but the Draco he knew was mute.

With a rush of adrenaline, he tried to pull away from the man holding him. Because they were already tangled together, they both fell over. Oliver landed on his back with his silver hair spilling out beneath him. His blanket had long been discarded, so he laid bare-chested under the Rucrean.