44. Guarded

Oliver kept his hood pulled over his head, trying to avoid the curious eyes of the Bierzens. He observed the crowds and tensed as he saw the roads lined with guards. Many were young, barely old enough to wield a sword, yet they were dressed in glittering gold armor. 

The streets were filled with vendors and celebrating citizens, uncaring that their King had just passed. There was no sign of mourning for their recent loss.  It was callous and vulgar.  Although Oliver had not considered himself a Bierzen, he was still embarrassed by their attitude, especially in front of a King like Draco.  

Oliver and the others picked up parts of the chatter of the people as they passed.  Most were talking about the crowning ceremony scheduled for the following week. However, some made their procession stall their steps. 

"I heard the disgraced Kardos son was attending as well."

"Didn't he die?"

"He was banished, but our future King has a forgiving heart."

"Now it feels like I returned," Oliver said to the others with a chuckle.

Gallio swept the crowd with his eyes and frowned. "Is there something wrong with the citizens of Bierze? Are they all suffering from a disease that eats away at their brains?"

Oliver shook his head helplessly. "Have you already forgotten my reputation? With me being gone for nearly a year, it's only natural that it would get worse."

"The folly of the ignorant," murmured Draco as he glared into the crowd. 

Oliver leaned toward Draco, placing a hand on his arm. He lowered his voice, so the conversation was just between the two of them. "They will probably house you in the Golden Lion estate. I will go to my family first and meet you there when I have convinced my family to leave."

"Do you think they will fight you?"

Oliver frowned. "Ewen may, but I have confidence that everyone else will leave without argument." 

"Should I go with you?" Draco asked with an unexpected flash of nervousness in his eyes. 

Oliver smiled. "You will be comfortable with that?"

"Comfortable?" Draco laughed. "I whisked away a Kardos son, bedded him, married him in the middle of the night, and declared him King without their knowledge. I'm quite the opposite of comfortable, but I would still escort you and meet them. I would face their wrath gladly."

Oliver's smile widened. "They will love you almost as much as I do."

However, before they could break away from the others, a large group of royal guards approached them.

"Sirs, we're here to escort you to your residences while you stay in Bierze. The diplomats of Rucrea can follow me to the Golden Lion estate." A guard said with a bow.

"I think we can find our way," Draco responded with a tight tone. 

"Unfortunately, I will have to insist. We have received several threats and want to ensure your safety."

Draco's jaw clenched. "We can handle ourselves."

The guard bowed low, "Please do not make this difficult."

Draco turned to Oliver, knowing he was anxious to meet with his family. "I have business in the city. I will send several men into the city, and the rest can follow you."

"Unfortunately, I must insist I escort all of you. When we can assure you that once the threat has been nullified, we will allow you to roam freely."

Draco chuckled, but it was low and menacing, like his growl. "Allow? You think you have the power to restrain me?"