17. A Break Up

The ballroom was quiet when two lofty figures stepped forward.

"Presenting the Sun of Bierze, King Belelot, and the Crown Prince, Piers Belelot."

Many eyes wandered toward Oliver to see his reaction, especially since the Future Royal Consort was supposed to be standing next to the Crown Prince. Yet, Oliver was with his family.

Oliver's face showed no emotions, but his body was tense as he looked at the familiar face. Piers was a handsome man, tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Oliver cringed, thinking how he used to fawn over this man. He now found that trying to love Piers was like loving the ocean—cold, dark, with the threat of pulling you under until you could no longer breathe.

Many celebrated the Belelot's entrance with light applause, but Oliver made no move to join the crowd. Every gesture and smile was superimposed with Piers' sneer.  All he could hear was the distant voice sentencing him to death. 

Oliver lifted his wine to his lips and took a light sip.

Piers walked down the stairs with a proud look and straight back. When he made eye contact with Oliver, he lifted his chin arrogantly. Oliver refrained from rolling his eyes and chose to take another drink.

Many people lined up to congratulate Piers, but Oliver held back and remained with his family. Usually, he would bypass the line and approach his throne directly. Even his family expected this behavior from him.

"Oli, are you going to give him your congratulations?" His mother asked.

"My turn will come." He said lightly with a slight shake of his head.

At this time, the many people in attendance had noticed the odd behaviors of the Young Lord Oliver, including the Crown Prince. Everyone was used to him bombarding the prince, but this time he was suspiciously distant. Eyes kept searching for him and found him talking happily to his parents.

Oliver looked up at the grandfather clock that stood in the ballroom and released a long breath. It was nearly time.

Piers motioned for the music to stop, and the ballroom became quiet. He looked around the room and pursed his lips. "Lord Oliver Kardos. May you present yourself?"

Oliver's mother looked perplexed, but Olivier only looked at his father. His father's look was complicated because he was concerned for his son while trying to hide the anger boiling inside of him. He also knew what would happen and was upset that Piers did not choose to do this privately.

He gave his father a solemn smile. "Forgive me, father." He said quietly. He knew how much shame this would cause for the Kardos name. Oliver could not hold on to his fiance or the crown. He will become discarded and unwanted, adding another item to the list of wrongs that Oliver has committed.

He turned without receiving a word from his father, and he walked through the crowd until he made his way to the prince.

Once he approached the prince, Oliver lowered himself to a knee and gracefully held a hand over his heart. It was a formal bow of the Kardos family typically seen in Wynter. It wasn't something he had shown before, and pride flashed through Aaron's eyes.

"I offer my congratulations for your coming-of-age, Your Royal Highness," Oliver said calmly.

Not many understood the implications of his words or actions. Not only had he refused to bow in the manner of Bierze, but his words had distanced him from the Crown Prince. He had usually called him by name, but now he addressed him by his formal title.

However, Prince Piers did not understand this unusual behavior and continued. "I respect your family and name; however, it is my duty to ensure that the person who stands next to me is worthy of the weight of the throne. Therefore, I am declaring the dissolution of our engagement. You are no longer my fiance."