41. A Brand

Oliver lay in Draco's arms, both bare and exhausted. Draco kissed his head and shifted.  He picked up Oliver in his arms, which caused him to laugh.

"What are you doing?" Oliver asked.

Draco held him close to his chest. "I'm going to help you clean."

He carried him to the bathroom and sat him on the counter while he filled the tub with warm water and a few oils. Oliver watched him, admiring his body as it flexed and bent.  When the tub was filled, he came back to pick up Oliver,

"I can walk, you know." He said with a smirk.

Draco kissed him happily. "I know you can. But if you walk, then I can't hold you."

Oliver laughed and held out his arms so Draco could pick him up again. Draco grinned and held him close as he walked them over to the tub and carefully sat down with Oliver on his lap. He ran his hands over Oliver's skin, gently washing him.

Because of the magic and dragon heart, many of Oliver's old scars had faded and disappeared, leaving soft, smooth skin.  Only the most grievous wounds remain, like the stab wounds, the cut on his back from Tomin, and the one over his heart. 

Draco's bite mark remained as a scar on his shoulder.  But Oliver truly didn't mind it, feeling the comfort of Draco's possessive nature every time he touched the raised skin of the scar. 

Draco continued to run the water down Oliver's body, making sure to be careful of the new scratches and bites.  He sighed lightly and brushed his fingers on the newly formed bruises on Oliver's hips, arms, and neck.  

"I harmed you again." He said as he kissed his neck tenderly. 

Oliver hummed and tilted his head to allow more access. "I'm not sure if you noticed, but I didn't mind."

Draco laughed and held him tighter. "Who would have thought that the nightmarish Guardian would be so adorable."

Oliver flinched. "Nightmarish? Wait—Adorable?" He turned his head so he could see Draco and narrowed his eyes. "Should I drag you out of this tub and fight you?"

Draco captured his chin and held him still so he could plant a kiss on him. "If you insist, I'll fight you as long as it does not involve clothes."

"Shameless dragon," Oliver said while holding back a smile.

"My fierce old Ghost."

Oliver finally laughed and leaned against his chest. "Why am I the nightmarish General?"

Draco smiled and started to wash Oliver's hair. "I suppose it's only something your opponents would understand. Before I entered the war, there were stories about you: the rising General.  No one thought you could step into your uncle's shoes, but like a whisper, your name started to spread on the battlefield. When you were injured by the Sand Drake and lost your eye, we thought it would stunt your growth, but you only became more formidable.  Injured soldiers would come home, and your presence would haunt their nightmares... General Kardos, the silver-haired demon who was always found on the frontlines."

"And what did you think?"

Draco sighed noncommittally. "I thought it was all hype... until I fought you. I discovered the difference between us almost immediately.  You had been fighting for years on the battlefield while I was sulking in Rucrea. I was so far behind you in a skill that it was terrifying."

"In the end, you won more duels."

"Only because you pulled back your swords and created obvious openings," Draco argued.

Oliver closed his eyes as Draco rinsed his long hair. "I wonder what I will be in this life."

"You'll be many things.  The savior of the continent and destroyer of tyrants."