48. An Old Friend

Oliver stumbled out of the cage, and his feet touched the blessed carpeted ground. The burned souls of his feet were suddenly relieved. He sighed heavily from the small comfort. 

The woman from The Raven helped him to a chair, and using the learned skills from the battlefield, he deftly wrapped his burned feet and the wounds around his wrists and ankles. He considered wrapping his chest and back, but he didn't want to constrict his ribs. If he wrapped his chest with fractured ribs, he would suffer in the long run.

He struggled to stand again and clutched to the wrap that was barely hanging from his hips. The woman brought the spare clothes before turning around near the door.

He ripped off the shameful wrap Piers put on him and gingerly slipped into the black pants and shirt. It was loose on him, even a week had taken away some of his mass, but it was a comfort to be covered. His braids had been unraveled, and he was left with a tangled mess. He grabbed in of the bandages and used it to tie his hair back and out of his face; however, this only revealed his split lip and bruised face even more. The swelling under his eye had grown, but at least it hadn't closed his eye. 

He moved away from the window and slowly brought back the many memories from his previous life. He had studied this palace extensively and knew that there were many hidden pathways, especially in the royal chambers.

His eyes flashed toward the bookshelf, and he grinned. He moved to the neglected desk and found a heavy key with the Belelot sigil embossed in gold. He pocketed it and then made his way to the bookshelf. He studied a few books before pulling a random one down. The bookshelf rumbled, and then he heard a slight click. He took another book and pulled it, and the bookshelf opened into a small door. 

The woman was back by his side and peered into the dark tunnel. "Do you know where this will lead?"

Oliver grinned. "I do. This place is guarded too tightly today to sneak out through the window. This place should keep us safe for a while."

She shook her head. "You will be safe in there. I will stay behind."

Oliver gripped her arm. "That's too dangerous. You should come with me."

"Ella was right. You are too kind for your own good," she said with a laugh. "The guards will be checking for you in less than an hour. I will delay as much time as possible."

"The risk is too great."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't underestimate The Raven. You have your ways to survive, and I have mine. Besides, everyone who I would be wary of is too distracted today. Go and make your escape. I will delay the time from when they discover you are missing."

"But—"

"Go," she interrupted him. "Your husband will attend the coronation and eagerly awaits you."

Oliver sighed and gripped her forearm. "Once again, I owe you and The Raven. I will repay this debt."

She quickly waved her hand, ignoring his promise of repayment. "Before you go, I have a few pieces of information for you. First, your uncle is safe. He was retrieved from his prison two nights ago. We suspect the Tuahs had something to do with it."

Oliver trembled, and he felt a heavy weight lift off his shoulders. Thank the gods for Imran.

The woman continued. "The rest of your family is safe, though they have been forced to join the coronation. Your husband will take it upon himself to guard them personally when they arrive at the palace."

"All of them? Even Avery?" He asked, slightly panicked.

The woman hesitated for a moment. "That will bring me to my last piece of information... The Rucreans had tried to visit the Kardos estate the day after your capture. After they left, it was discovered that Avery had disappeared. Although your husband and the other Rucreans refused to admit it, we suspect they are protecting your brother."