46. A Visitor

Draco was pacing in an office of the Golden Lion estate. His feet had trampled over the remains of broken chairs and tables. Most of the decor was in pieces, and long claw marks were etched into the walls.

"He should have been back by now," Draco's voice came out as a deep growl.

Aris flinched from the venom in his voice and looked out the window, seeing the sun just starting to rise.

"Do you think it took longer to convince his family?" He asked, his tone low and humble, hoping not to agitate him further.

"He would have sent word," Draco kicked the last standing table, splintering it into pieces. "I'm going."

"The sun is just starting to—" Aris stopped his words the moment Draco turned a glare his way. His eyes were already reflecting the dragon within him. They blazed while his pupils stretched into slits.

Aris bowed low. "I will prepare the carriage immediately." He retreated as an angry roar shook the manor.

Draco calmed his aura before he stalked out of the estate.

"Let's go," Draco said and called his men to accompany him. Although Oliver's soldiers wanted to join, Aris convinced them to stay behind. If something had happened to Oliver, his people would rampage. He already had to worry about Draco.

But he was straining inside because he was furious as well. If something happened to his second King, he would gladly help lead Rucrea in razing the city.

As the sun broke over the horizon, they slowly made their way through the winding streets. The city was just starting to wake up, and some shops and cafes were turning on their lights. Draco tapped his leg impatiently and refrained from asking if they were near. His anger was choking the air, and Aris kept still with his head bowed.

He practically jumped out of the carriage when it was coming to a stop but was pulled back by Aris.

Draco glowered at him, but Aris' eyes were hostile as he nodded toward the people guarding the manor. Not a single Kardos soldier outside. It was all men in gold armor.

"Fuck." Draco murmured. "I waited too long."

He clenched his fists until blood dripped from where his nails pierced his palms. He stepped out of the carriage, and the Kardos estate fell silent.

The royal guards didn't dare stop his menacing figure. But before Draco reached the entryway, Tomin walked out of the manor.

"Sir Lyrell." Tomin greeted him with a shameless smile.

"Little guard," Draco said with a dark look.

Tomin gritted his teeth. "When I mentioned Lord Oliver last time, I didn't think you were familiar with the Kardos family. Yet here you are to greet them."

"We're neighbors in a sense. It's only appropriate that I greet them." Draco said stiffly.

He looked up and saw a child peeking out the window from one of the upstairs windows, but he quickly withdrew behind the curtain.

Draco went to step around Tomin, but Tomon held out a hand to stop him. "You haven't made an appointment."

Draco laughed coldly. "Are you a Kardos? Do you have the right to stop me at another family's doorstep?"

"Under special circumstances, yes."

Draco's anger was palatable, and he felt his fangs growing behind his lips.

"Do you know who I am?" Draco sneered.

"I don't care."

Draco was about to grab the pompous man by the throat, but a silver-haired man ran out of the door, pushing aside a guard.