9. An Informant

For the next several weeks, the people of the manor saw Oliver share meals in the kitchen with the servants, run until he collapsed every morning, and read in his leisure time. He never left the manor grounds and declined every invitation he received. It seemed that he had lost interest in everything in the capital.

Under cover of night, Oliver would practice his sword forms, quickly building up his old skills in secret.  His thin frame was starting to fill out, and muscles and hard lines soon decorated his body. He was surprised by the growth rate but began to suspect that the dragon heart resting in his chest was the reason for this.  He knew that those with dragon blood would heal and strengthen rapidly, so he wondered if he had inherited some of those traits.

At the same time, he was slowly building back his relationship with his family. He won over Avery and his mother easily, but his father and Conrad were challenging. His father had an authoritarian personality, so it was difficult to determine if he truly approved of Oliver's changes.

Conrad was understandingly skeptical. He was meant to lead the duchy and protect the family from a young age. Oliver's younger years had proved his shortcomings; therefore, Conrad feared to hope that Oliver had matured.

The other person dwelling in their compound was his uncle Antony. He was the current General and Guardian of the Realms. He was a proud man whose focus was on the men he led, not on family drama. However, this was the person Oliver had admired the most. He was a wise leader and a good man.

But the war was cruel.

When Oliver turned 24, war was declared on Abrorg, and Oliver was sent with Antony and the Wynter army to fight on the frontlines. He was placed under Antony's care, but he was initially a stubbornly lazy soldier. It didn't take long for him to realize the horrors of the battlefield.

However, he was jaded and misguided. He had no motivation to survive the war because he was so upset and ashamed of his past actions in the capital. He would join the battle alongside Antony and fight recklessly. He made no effort to defend himself, but he was ferocious in his own way.

When Oliver wasn't fighting, he watched his uncle. He saw how he exuded a commanding presence, fought strategically, and led his men successfully. He was worthy of his titles.

The opponent that Antony would face the most was Imran Tuah, the great strategist and commander of Abrorg. His name was known throughout all kingdoms. When the war between Bierze and Abrorg started, he led the charge and was a fierce opponent.

The duels between Imran and Antony would end with one of them amicably surrendering. Their friendship and mutual respect were known between both armies.

But still, the war was cruel.

In the end, they stood on opposite sides of the battlefield and had to face each other as enemies. After years of polite fighting, Oliver watched as Imran's knife pierced Antony's chest.

He didn't remember much from that battle, but he could clearly recall Antony's words even to this day.

"Forgive your uncle... I pass onto you the burden of Guardian... Protect yourself, dear nephew, and when you're strong enough, protect the realms."

Anthony handed Oliver his swords and then died with a smile on his lips.

Oliver was heartbroken and enraged, especially when he saw Imran had the audacity to cry when Antony passed. His words to Imran were cruel, and he berated the mourning man who had once called Antony a friend.

Imran only responded with, "Hate me, Oliver. Hate me and grow strong." He called for a retreat and left.

Oliver had no time to grieve. He suddenly had to inherit the title of Guardian and the role of General at the age of 28. He never wanted the position, nor did he have a reputation for it. Because of his past and suicidal recklessness on the battlefield, he was not trusted as a leader.